Thread: backpack suggestions

backpack suggestions

local selection here is very limited so i cant get a hands on look to see if everything will fit properly . i also dont want to order something online for 200$ just cause it looks ok then find out it doesnt hold all my gear. what i have is a T4i with battery grip , 100-400L , 70-200F4L , 18-135stm kit lens , tamy 17-50 f2.8 ,and 50 f1.8. also have a 430 EX , better beamer , intervalometer carryspeed strap extra batterys ,couple filters and a tripod. i have a lowepro flipside 300 but it is way to small for the big lens. i also dont like how the flap doesnt open all the way to the bottom making it hard to retrieve anything stored at the bottom.

gear by sedwards679, on Flickr
    Last edited by sedwards; 02-18-2014 at 04:06 AM.
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

I have the Lowepro Flipside 400, and at it's max it held a gripped T3i w/18-55mm, a 55-250mm, 50mm 1.4, 100mm Macro, a 320EX, a 5D3 w/24-105mm, a Tokina 11-16, a few filters and other small accessories. I also had my tripod strapped to the side.

Everything fit well and it was comfortable, I'd say its worth checking out.

I was going to suggest the Flipside 400 AW (I have both that and the Flipside 300, among other bags). It does have the same issue with the flap not opening completely (which I think is necessitated by the design, so the flap base can contribute to the stability of the 'platform' when the bag is flipped), but it's not as bad on the 400 version since the flap is wider. I like the 300 for its smaller size when carrying less gear, but the 400 is a better bag for several reasons. It has an all-weather cover, the hip belt is much nicer (partially padded and with Sliplock loops, vs. the bare nylon strap of the 300), and the outer pocket can actually hold a decent amount of stuff. The 400 will easily hold all your gear, leaving a little room to grow...

I'm pretty sure you were actually the one to recommended the Flipside 400 to me, John. Thanks! It's treated me well thus far.

I own the Lowepro 350 Fastpack and Lowepro 400 AW (yep, you'll find it is a pretty popular bag). The 400 AW has become my main backpack as it holds a fair amount of gear and it is very light (~3.5 lbs). The other reason I bought mine was I got a great deal on one that was used (~$80). In searching for it, I noticed that ebay very consistently has the Lowepro 400 AW for very reasonable prices (ship from China). Right now they have it for $62. I agree, the fact that the back flap doesn't open all the way does get annoying and makes accessing the bottom part of the compartment very difficult. But, overall, it is a great bag. I would look at it and the flipside 500 to hold all your gear.

In addition to Lowepro, other backpacks I've been very tempted by (or at least brands): Gura Gear, f-stop (for more serious backpacking), Think Tank, and Kata.

Just in case you want to look around.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post

In addition to Lowepro, other backpacks I've been very tempted by (or at least brands): Gura Gear, f-stop (for more serious backpacking), Think Tank, and Kata.
    I own the Lowepro Pro Trekker 400AW and also a Tamrac Expedition 9X.
    I would say they are both about equal. Both keep your stuff safe, have a fair amount of room. To me neither shines over the other. For short hikes they are ok.
    For most people they work fine. If keeping your stuff secure, do short hikes, need versatile storage then they will work fine.

But for serious backpacking I wouldn't recommend either Lowepro or Tamrac. Neither are comfortable on long hikes, I am in the market for a better alternative.

It's a good point. I've done day hikes (edit--thought about it more, probably 6-12 miles) with both. The 400 AW was much better for that. The Fastpack 350 held the load pretty well, but doesn't vent as well. For more serious hikes, the packs I hear most people talk about are from f-stop.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 02-19-2014 at 10:58 AM.

I have watched the f-stop's video, as far as the support system it doesn't seem much different than the Trekker 400AW.
    As far as carrying gear they all do the job.
    The difference is how it feels on your back, and the problem is that it would cost $350 ++ to find out.
    I wonder how well it work just buying the internal units from f-stop and then use it with a quality backpack made for backcountry packing

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I wonder how well it work just buying the internal units from f-stop and then use it with a quality backpack made for backcountry packing
    My wife any I used to go on week-long backcountry treks in Northern CA, but since I got back into photography only after having kids, we really haven't done any backpacking where I needed to carry camera gear. But if I were to do that again, I'd definintely pack the camera gear inside a good internal frame pack (Osprey, etc.), rather than using a dedicated camera backpack. I'd likely pack the camera gear in neoprene pouches like those from LensCoat for protection (I have a couple of LensCoat BodyBag Pros, one for the body only which actually holds the 1D X with the 40/2.8 mounted, and another for body with standard lens that works for the 1D X + 24-70 II), and put them in with the clothes. That would allow good protection and better flexibility for load distribution.