Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon EF-S 30 f/1.4 USM on my wishlist

Canon EF-S 30 f/1.4 USM on my wishlist

Hi, I don't know the figures but I suppose the vast majority of Canon DSLRs currently on the market are 1.6 crop bodies. I have one and I will likely have (at least) one for a long time. So far I've been missing a really good and really fast "normal" prime at around 30 mm focal length. I know there's the Sigma option - it may be a good one but I would really prefer a similar Canon lens. The EF 28 f/1.8lenscould of course be an option, but I'm hesitating also on this one. I've heard too much mixed opinions about it to be convinced.

If Canon would come up with something like a Canon EF-S 30 f/1.4 USM at a reasonable price I would likely get it right away. I also believe that there should be many more crop camera ownersmissing such a lens, and that it really would have the potential of becoming a bestseller.

So, why doesn't it happen?Do any of you have any ideas of what might be coming up? Would anyone elsein the forum join me in buying one or would I be the only buyer?

I will put it on top of my wishlist and then we will see what Santa can do for christmas.

Re: Canon EF-S 30 f/1.4 USM on my wishlist

I didn

The way I look at it, if the Sigma 30 f1.4 does well, Canon will undoubtedly develop one of their own. Demand dictates supply. A wish would be for the laws of physics to no longer apply and the development of a 1200mm, handholdable, f2.8 super telephoto lens that I could fit in a normal backpack, and cost under $500 (with superior image quality)! However, if Canon developed their own 30mm f1.4 lens, I would definitely be a buyer.
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

I have no idea why Canon hasn

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I bought the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. It works, and I'm happy with it.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I'm sure this is a good lens. My hesitation is based on Sigmas slightly worse back/front-focus reputation and the fact that my Canon service center won't adjust Sigma lenses. (It's really convenient to have the body and all lenses adjusted together.) On the other hand, for a primeI could live with AFMA correction if required. I may very well end up with the Sigma.

My point still remains though - why doesn't Canon make their own normal prime for crop bodies?

I think the lack of a normal FOV crop prime is easily explained.

The majority of crop users don
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Maybe I overestimate the market for EF-S primes. One thing I

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston
    The majority of crop users don't buy extra lenses.

I'm just odd like that....

I guess I

I
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos