Thread: Lightroom 4 Beta Now Available

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Have you tried it yet Mark? I will probably wait till the full version, but I'd like to hear some first impressions

I am not sure if I am going to try it yet. I tried LR3 when it was a beta but I was not using LR for processing at the time. I think you'd have to set up individual libraries for LR3 & LR4 and I'm a bit apprehensive about running two versions on one machine. I will buy the full release once it's ready though. The upgrades sound sweet!

Mark, I use mine like a beta rather than a replacement. I copy my origional cr2 files and play a bit, often with old images i had already processed. Just getting acquainted. I like the development module changes!
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

I set up a LR4 Test folder and I've dumped in a couple of hundred images to test it out with, that way it is separate and apart from my LR3 catalogue and images. So far I really like it, so much so I don't like going back to LR3 to work on my non-test images. The replacement of recovery, fill light, and brightness, with highlights, shadows, and whites is a big improvement I think. As it seems to do a pretty good job of identifying both highlights and shadows and making adjustments to those alone. And maybe I've been missing something, but I've always found fill light to be next to useless, but not so with the new highlights feature. They've also made some good improvements to the adjustment brush. I'll certainly be upgrading.