Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Group photo question...

Group photo question...

I was taking a group photo (my family) 6 people total with a XSI 450D, kit lense 18-55.

The setting was nothing special. A couple of full body shots and waist up shots. Camera setting was on manual with autofocus...no flash.

For some reason i cannot get all the subjects to be in focus. There is usually 2 or 3family membersthat seem slightly out of focus. Just for clarification, this is not avery noticable out of focus problem. Perhaps i am just being very picky and asking to much of the kit lense?

keller

Re: Group photo question...

was it shot indoors? If it was, then try to use a flash to be able to narrow the aperture and get greater DOF, or higher ISO for that matter ...that might be your only problem

In these groups where were the people? Were they on both edges, or were they clumped together?

They were clumped together. I wish i would have saved the pictures so i could post them for all to see what i am referring to. Sometimes all the people in the image would be focused, sometimes just 1 person or no one would be focused. Again, i am not talking blurry, but just slightly "foggy" as i like to call it. The wife calls it, slightly out of focused. She thinks a better lense (L)would correct this problem. I am hoping its the shooter's fault.

I took the photos outside with partly cloudy skies.

keller

At what aperture were you shooting? Dumien has a point.

Yes, it's the shooter's fault [], you need to close down the aperture to have more depth of field.

Woah guys, lets slow down here for a minute. His wife thinks that he needs a new L lens. You don't argue with your wife, especially when she's telling you that you NEED to be getting a brand spanking new L series lens. CLEARLY then, the lens is the problem

Yes, clearly the lenses fault [].

I'd wait until you get the new "L" or a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and then try stopping down. A flash or flashes may be usefull at that point.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Oh dude... the wife is telling you that you need a new L glass and you argue with her?

It's definitely the glass, the wife is right []

Also, try to use much much faster shutter speeds when you get the new L (but close the aperture so you still get sharp, in focus pictures). When the wife asks why the pictures are so dark, tell her that you need a new lighting kit which includes few umbrellas and stands, reflectors, pocketwizards and of course, at least 2 580 EX II's.

Then, since you will be working with such high shutter speeds, shake the camera so the shots become blur - this time it's not out of focus but blur, so you will need a new top of the line tripod as well lol.

You have real nice wife to blame the lens and not to you!