Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Street Shooting Awkwardness...

Street Shooting Awkwardness...

I've been trying to get into street photography so I took my 70-200mm f/4 USM out this morning to a local Farmer's Market. It got rained on so it was cut rather short (not weather sealed) I thought the long range lens would let me capture candid shots but I found when you're so far away you actually get too many people walking in between you. By the time they had cleared, the moment was gone. Not to mention I didn't realize how easily people can catch that white lens from a distance away. So much for candid...shorter lens next time [:^)]

The biggest thing that threw me off was my positioning. Apart from the fact that I had a big white lens dangling from my shoulder, I felt real uncomfortable standing in the middle of the street waiting for a clear line of site. Do you all usually keep constantly moving? How do you guys usually go about street photography? I don't really have too much trouble engaging people but I avoid it if I can. [*-)]

Re: Street Shooting Awkwardness...

Quote Originally Posted by TakahiroW4047
    How do you guys usually go about street photography?

I don't. Too awkward. []

Honestly, I don't know how some people do it. I've done a little in Taiwan, where I'm such a wierdo anyway that it hardly matters if I'm pointing a camera at people. But here in the US, I've never felt comfortable.

Its certainly tricky! The best way for you to learn how to do it, is try to do a few hired events where people are expecting you to be there. Once you feel comfortable doing that, you can apply it to taking pictures of random people.

I've found that being charismatic really helps. Just going up to someone and saying, "hey, do you mind if I take your picture?" usually is the way to go. Otherwise, you just gotta hope and pray you can get that random candid. Try figuring out what that person is gonna do and just find a spot to work from to get that shot. Set up your exposure without looking at your subject if possible, and then get proficient at being quick with reaction timing and focusing.

People getting in the way is just a part of it. Same as trees getting in the way of a flying bird.

Hope this helps!

Mike
    7D | 1D Classic | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS

I think it's the looks that people give you as you take photos. "Who the heck are you taking my photo??" kind of a look [^o)]

I once shot at an indoor fundraiser event where I was the dedicated photographer. Everyone knew who I was with my big "VOLUNTEER" T-shirt on haha so it was very comfortable taking photos because I was meant to be there.

I only try to go to street events where there's many people there, but even then it still feels a bit uncomfortable knowing that some people don't like to have their photos taken?? But at the same time I want to!!! haha [:S]

Haha yeah, in that case you just gotta be fast enough to get the natural emotion before the annoyed look comes out.

And for street photography, being slightly annoying and persistent may be required.
    7D | 1D Classic | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG2012

I've found that being charismatic really helps. Just going up to someone and saying, "hey, do you mind if I take your picture?" usually is the way to go.

Yeah I was leaning towards the candid shots, but I think I might go with that approach and actually walk away with some decent photos as opposed to 100 candid mis-shots...at least for now when I'm still learning []

Also! To hide that white lens, look into getting a lenscoat cover in black. It'll help hide your lens and protect it from the bustling crowd.

http://www.lenscoat.com/lenscoatsuptmsup-canon-70200is-p-626.html

WHOA!! $80!? ...apart from the camo ones, especially the black one doesn't look too professionally made. I bet I could sew one together better than that []

Haha they made not look professionally made, but I know of many professional outdoor photographers who use them. Lenscoat lens covers are highly regarded for being excellent products.

One thing you can do is use your distance meter on the lens, and keep the camera on your torso level and look at it like you are trying to fix something on it. Use the biggest aperture you can so you get a chance to have your subject on focus. and took many pictures.

Still this trick is old, I think it get to it's end because now on most body you can flip the lcd on the back of the camera on shoot while the camera is not on your face.

Another trick I use is to set the focus on something at the same distance but on another angle, and then, with your free eye, you watch what you wanna picture and when it's ok, you quickly shoot at what interest you.

Last but not the least, use the widest angle lens you have, point your camera to so you can see the point of interest but the camera is not aiming at whatyou really wanna photograpy. It dosent give the best picture you can have as, as everybody know, the border of the lens is not where you get the best iq (yet my efs 10-22 rarelly deceive me on that concern).

Another thing you can do is to buy one of those camo coat you can put on your 70-200. I would not recommend to buy you the camoflage on as you may get people stressed because it look like an army gun

Good Luck Takhiro, why dont you share the pictures you took with us ?