Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic lens corrections - how often do you use them?

Automatic lens corrections - how often do you use them?

<html />

Re: Automatic lens corrections - how often do you use them?

I

I apply it to every photo by default, then selectively un-do corrections as desired. I didn

Quote Originally Posted by w349

I'm always cautious of lens corrections because I worry they might destructively affect my image quality. Opinions? Facts?

There are definitely some destructive effects: artifacts, noise, and sometimes a noticeable loss of resolution/detail. Same for many other post-processing operations (e.g. horizon leveling, contrast adjustment).That's one reason why small pixel sizes and high pixel counts are so valuable: with small enough pixels, the artifacts and loss of detail wont be visible in the final print, but the beneficial correction will. No getting around the noise problem, though.

When I used DPP for RAW conversions, I usually applied only peripheral illumination (vignettting) correction by default. Now I use DxO, and I find that it does a much better job than DPP at the lens-sepcific corrections - now, I apply them by default, and remove or modify them when they have an undesirable effect (e.g. barrel distortion correction affecting a face at the edge of the frame).

I use Lightroom 3 and as Daniel and John do, I apply lens corrections by default and then as I sort through the individual images I make the final decision with any other adjustments. I am generally pleased with the LR3 corrections and leave them 99% of the time.

I apply automatic lens correction by default. I more or less always leave the default CA and the vignetting correction settings, but somtimes i adjust/delete the distortion correction, e.g. if the correction cuts a detail close to the border.

(In my opinion ACR:s default lens correction profile for EF-S 10-22 over-compensated for vignetting - the corners were brighter than the center of a blue sky. I made an own profile with slightly less compensation.)

Quote Originally Posted by cls
    (In my opinion ACR:s default lens correction profile for EF-S 10-22 over-compensated for vignetting - the corners were brighter than the center of a blue sky.

While you may be right that ACR over-compensates for vignetting on that lens, blue sky is definitely not a good tool for evaluating it. There are many natural reasons for sky brightness to vary in ways that look like over-corrected vignetting. It would be much wiser to use a subject that really does have uniform brightness over image height.

Daniel: Yes, you

Thanks for all the replies. I