More collective wisdom required. After purchasing my 100-400L safari lens (http://community.the-digital-picture.com/photography_gear1/f/8/t/5347.aspx)for a trip to Tanzania this summer I need to get my technique sorted and practiced before I go.

Being in the south east UK, the only places I can go to shoot 'big' wildlife are deer in Windsor great park, or in one of the other parks in London. Windsor is only 30minutes fromme so I plan to go there a few times. Other than that it is birds (do get plenty of red kites near here, would be great if I knew where a nest was) or mycats stalking blackbirdsin the garden. Hopefully that is enough to practice on until July.

Given that I'll be mostly (completely) shooting from a vehicle on safari a simple support (was going to take a super clamp and bean bag) or handheld is what I'll be doing.

So how do you keep your long lens photos (640mm eq) sharpshooting handheld? I'm currently shooting handheld using TV set to 1/600 and auto ISO with IS on and get reasonably sharp images in good light, but with low light (overcast or in shade)I end up athigh ISO, whichisn't great and thenend up withmore noise due to under exposure. If I improve my technique to make better use of the IS and gain a couple of stopsI think I'd see better results overall (lower ISO, less noise, more sharpness).

Tips, advice, comments very welcome. I'd be interested inrecommended camera settings, handheld technique, practice tips etc. Thanks