Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP need your advice with lens selection for a CANON EOS 1DS MARK III.

HELP need your advice with lens selection for a CANON EOS 1DS MARK III.

What have I done.

I am just getting started in photography and decide to go all out, I have on hold with my order a CANON EOS 1DS MARK III.

The problem I am having is lens selection, after reading the pages of lens info on this site and other'sI have just become more confused.

I want to cover the whole spectrum of photograpyfrom macro TO long distance and everything in between.

If you could have it your way and money wasn't a issue but didn't want to buy every lens made from canon what do you think would be the lens selectionfrom <canon only> to creat the ultimate lens kit for this camera thank's and please be specific.

also thank's eveyone for your helpfull responses..

Re: HELP need your advice with lens selection for a CANON EOS 1DS MARK III.

What do you shoot?Just start out anddecide to geta 1DsMark III? You're in for a lot of camera than you can handle []You can read Bryan's lens recommendation page.

The 24-105L will give you lots of range in one lens to see what type of shooting you like.

The 70-200 2.8L IS and the 16-35 2.8 will both compliment the above lens.

That's easy! Just buy every lens.

Seriously, this is the problem we all face: trying to prioritize what's most important to us so we can make a purchase. Think about what kind of pictures are the most important to you, then buy the lens that will help with that.

I think Daniel's advice is probably right on, (well, not the 'just buy every lens' part []). You really have to look at what you're going to be shooting the most and that will help you choose the right lenses. Bryan's reviews usually include what each lens might be good for. You can cover a lot of range with just a few zooms like the 16-35, 24-105, 100-400, and then pick up a 100mm Macro and maybe a 50mm prime but it may be different for you if you plan on doing a lot of action/low light stuff, where you might want the 24-70 and the 70-200 2.8 IS--it all depends.

You might even consider spending less on the camera body, i.e. getting a 5D mk2 and having a little more to get different lenses, unless you have the money to spare, which I thinkmost of us wish we had...The 1Ds MK III is an incredible tool and will allow you to capture some great images, but it is a lot of camera to start with and may be more than what you need. Just my .02

+1 on the 5d mark2, unless you are shooting sports or want full weather proof (it's only partial for 5D rite)

Quote Originally Posted by ultima16888

(it's only partial for 5D rite)
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Which is a shame. I hate when Canon do that, I think all the SLRs, or at least the semi-pro and the pro, should be weather proof.

Plus, I think that at least the more expensive lenses such as the 17-55 should come with a lens hood.

Is there any chance that the stupid marketing guys in Canon are ever going to listen to us? I mean c'mon... a $800+ lens HAS to come with a hood, and a $800+ body should be weather proof![8o|]

That's it, I'm done with the rants [:P]

Stick with the "L" series

I love my 70-200 f/4, though I would get the IS version if you can spare the extra dollars. It's lighter and less bulky than the 2.8 version, so unless those extra f-stops my preference is the f/4. I've heard excellent things about the 300mm and 400mm prime lenses, but I haven't had the oppertunity to use them yet. However, depending on what you intend to shoot the prime lenses may be limiting - in which case the 100-400mm might be better, though not quite as sharp.

Lucky you to be getting the 1Ds Mk III ! I'm only a little jealous...