Thread: Has the M-Series Arrived?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Not far behind? Small advantages in a graph like this can be huge for pixel peepers on photo sites. The M5's sensor has Canon's highest pixel density in ILC. I am curious how it will fare on the 500mm. I wasn't interested in the original M since its sensor seemed to be closer to the old 7D. But this one might have potential if it fares as well as the 7D II.

My first impressions:
    Let me qualify this, I used the camera last night at the wife's families Christmas / Birthday party, and played with it some at home. All in the evening with low light.

The M5 has two green box settings. Auto Mode (Scene Intelligent Auto) is crap for what it should do. This is a mode that anyone should be able to pick the camera up and take pictures, and they can, although the AF hunts far too much, the exposure fluctuates wildly and you can not turn off the annoying 2 second review. Try catching a Granddaughter kissing a 80+ year old Grandfather on the cheek you have to have great timing. By the time it hunts and gets focus, take the shot and review 4 seconds have passed. I could not find a setting in Auto Mode to turn off the 2 second review. If I were a first time buyer and were playing with the camera at the store, there is no way I would buy it.

The second green box setting is Hybrid Auto Mode, I didn't use it much but it has an option to get rid of the 2 second review. Why this matters? You are shooting in live view mode. If you are using the digital viewfinder you see exactly what you see on the screen. After you shoot you are looking at a picture for 2 seconds and it is impossible to recompose and shoot again.

The second problem or advantage (from certain perspectives) with the viewfinder is that you see exactly what you see in live view. If the camera is hunting exposure you are going dark to light, in focus out of focus. It is difficult to compose when you can't see the subject.

Unless there is an automatic option which I have not found, you have to manually open the flash.

Video seemed to work very well. I did have one issue, the placement of record button is in a location that it is easy to hit. I found video recording accidently several times.

Reviewing pictures with the viewfinder was interesting. For some reason shots had a 3d feel and it was similar to looking into a Viewmaster.

The tilt screen, while functional, is not on par with the t4i's tilt abilities. It is not as well designed or as functional.

I then shot in AV mode, set the camera to shoot at high speed, servo mode, touch to AF anywhere on screen and of course with these options review is off by default. The camera performed very well.

For IQ, I never downloaded a single picture. But zoomed in to max I had very good detail on eyelash and hair. I am optimistic that the IQ will be great as expected.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 12-23-2016 at 02:29 PM.