Thread: Canon RF 35 mm f/1.4 VCM

Canon RF 35 mm f/1.4 VCM

New lens announced today. One I know many were waiting for. Light. Moderately priced. New motor.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...n-Preorder-Now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks nice, some complaints about the lack of IS but IMO not a big deal with the wide availability of IBIS. Great news for people waiting for a new 35/1.4, especially at the uncharacteristically (relatively) low price. There are rumors of similar 24/1.4L and 50/1.4L coming later in the year (i.e., hybrid oriented with the aperture ring for video that's also found on the 24-105/2.8L).

Not for me, though. I had the EF 35/1.4L, was not a lens that I used heavily and for me, the RF 28-70/2 covers my use cases for a 35/1.4 (and other fast primes, as well).
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 06-06-2024 at 01:24 PM.

Indeed, the 35mm prime is not a lens I reach for often. I use a 24mm f/1.4 lens quite a bit for event photography, but find the 35mm a little too limiting in the tighter places I typically find myself in when shooting in low-light, indoors. And if I have the space, I'd rather be shooting with a 50mm f/1.4 instead (I'm rarely shooting in a circumstance where the 35mm focal length is ideal). The 35mm f/2 IS USM has been a decent lens to keep for those very specific circumstances based on its wider-than-f/2.8 max aperture, IS, and relatively low cost (not worth selling).

Similar thinking. I had the Sigma 35A for awhile. Just not a focal length I reach for often. Not enough to justify a prime lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk