Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Birds

Birds

Hi All! Need some help with I.D. This lad/lassie landed on my lawn yesterday. I took the shot through my double-glazed patio doors. Canon 7D +70-200 2.8 IS ii. ISO 200 ,f2.8@500th. Location: Ireland West. I think it may be a sparrow hawk. Any ideas? Thank you. Hen Harrier maybe?[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/2234.hawk.jpg[/img]

Re: Birds

I vote for Juvenile Peregrine Falcon

Hi Fastglass:

How about a little more information, approx. size, etc. Maybe an immature Kestrel but I doubt an immature peregrine. They have a dark head cap not as extensive as the adults and as you can see this bird does not have that. Taking into the fact that you live in west Ireland Here in the states I may not be able to help.

Godspeed

Wayne

Nice shot fastglass, what you have here is a Common Kestrel.

It looks very much like what we call "Toren valk" or Falco Tinnunculus, but I know them with a grey "head". Perhaps it's a female?

Edit...I just searched for Common Kestrel and it's the same [A] So I'm with you Nate []

Hi Nate;

Do you mean an immature Kestrel Nate or perhaps a female? Because it does not have the purple head cap and the second descending black stripe towards the back of the scull and also does not have the yellow splash behind that, it also does not the purple wing coverlets. I like to know exactly what we are talking about. I

Wayne....the UK/Irish refer to this bird as a Common Kestrel, genus Falco tinnunculus (http://www.birdguides.com/species/species.asp?sp=032028) where as the American Kestrel is genus Falco sparverius.

Hope this helps

Bill

Hope you don't mind, just thought I'd add an American Kestrel captured at a Raptor Exhibit I was at last Nov....she landed on a Nikon and left a memory for the owner. []

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x650/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/8764.American-Kestrel.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

Wayne....the UK/Irish refer to this bird as a Common Kestrel, genus Falco tinnunculus ([url="http://www.birdguides.com/species/species.asp?sp=032028]http://www.birdguides.com/species/species.asp?sp=032028[/url]) where as the American Kestrel is genus Falco sparverius.

Hope this helps

Bill
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Bill:

Thanks so much Bill. So as it turns out we are talking about two different species. That is why when it comes to the nitty gritty of it all I try too fall back and re-lie on the scientific { no longer strictly Latin } name. Where &amp; how did you get so knowledgeable about birds from different continents/areas? I would love to know, simple internet search ? If it is outdoors that is my world and have an insatiable appetite to learn as much as possible. Thanks again Bill it is a real help.

Godspeed

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

Hope you don't mind, just thought I'd add an American Kestrel captured at a Raptor Exhibit I was at last Nov....she landed on a Nikon and left a memory for the owner. [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Oh I feel so bad for that poor Nikon owner[]..... NOT[] What a smart bird she is!!!!!!!!!!!! Where was the exhibit?

Godspeed

Wayne