Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24-105 4L : Error 99, Error 01, Aperture 00

24-105 4L : Error 99, Error 01, Aperture 00

Folks,

Want to highlight and share a problem with this lens to all. I encountered last week that my 24-105 throwing out error 99 on my 350D. At times, it will throw out Error 01. The aperture show on the camera will be 00. The viewfinder will be darken (like pressing the DOF button). Some strange sound will be coming out from the lens for a short while. You can't do much except reboot the camera. Initially, everything went back to normal but it will be short live. Now, I can't use the lens any more except on 24mm. If zoom beyond 24mm, error 99 or error 01 will throw out.

Another friend of mine having this issue about the same time. His lens is about 1.5 year old. Mine is about 2.5 years old (UU series). He has send to Canon to repair. It was due to a faulty aperture module. Repair cost is about USD110.

Wondering is that a common problem or a bad batch of the lens ? Also anyone else in the flickr community faces this problem ?

I found a link which describe the same problem....
    http://www.pinoyphotography.org/forum/index.php?topic=38608.0

Re: 24-105 4L : Error 99, Error 01, Aperture 00

I've had mine a couple years with no problem.

I am sure that, eventually, it will break, as will I...

(Disclaimer: sorry if I end up being too blunt. It's not my direct intention, just a common result...)

In the end, nothing that we tell you will likely fix the problem. The lens needs to go in for repair. If by chance it ends up being a manufacturing defect that Canon feels obligated to assume the repair cost, they'll either repair for free or someday in the future they'll refund your money. No matter what, the fix only happens when the lens arrives at a Canon facility, so the sooner it goes in, the sooner you'll be a happier photographer.

I for one think that I'll have to send my 1D Mark III in very soon for the mirror fixes. I get Error 99 occasionally, and this morning while getting ready to manually clean my sensor, the mirror didn't actually go up. I think that's the clue that finally told me I have an affected camera. *shrug*

My 24-105/4L was purchased in September 2007 and appears to have been made in July 2007, so it's 1.75 years old. I've never had this problem.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Thanks folks for your quick comments. Some could be blunt but is ok as the intention is clear.

I like this lens a lot but disappointed with the reliability especially both a friend of mine face the same issue at the same time. Especially you pay some extra for good quality L lens. Didn't expect L dies like that. Wondering anything I did cause it to die prematurely ?

Definitely have to fix it as next month need to travel to Jogjakarta. : )

Maybe you have a bad item, because I know several photographers who have had this lens for years and used it extensively, all without any problems. I mysef have had it for a year and sent it back for repairs after the image was a bit soft. They fixed it and it came back a winner.

Good luck.

There was another recent post about a 1Ds Mark III that had Error 99 issues. The person was given a repair estimate, sent in the camera, was told that the repairs would be free of charge, and I believe has received their camera back. You may want to just send it in...you might get lucky.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

It occured with my 1ds MKIII sent to Canon Service Center they said' THE FIXED THECURRENT voltage SUPPLYCALLBRATION"[*-)]

After service no error encounter so far..

Hi comunity,

This is my first post here. I have EXACTLY the same problem that cgchew described. Lens and camera (rebel XT) were broken the same day, it's unbelievable. I don't care too much about the camera, but i do for the lens.

I'm not in US, but anyway i can send it for repairing to US. Do you know how much time it will take for the lens being fixed?. I've never sent something to Canon.

Thank you!

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]Error 99 may not be with the lens. The 99 error code is a catch all code, so it does not give exact info about the problem. It can be poor contact between your body and lens, dust, etc. on the contacts or physical alignment issue, or a mirror problem, etc.<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]I had this problem and it was NOT the lens, but the camera body. There have been many posts across numerous forums about this error code, some very different depending on which camera model you have.<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]On the 1Ds3, the mirror&lsquo;s error 99 code problem will be fixed for free, plus there is a software update that makes the error codes more exact.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] You need to make sure you have the latest software updates.<o></o>

Yes, that's right, but I've tried the lens in a 30D and 40D and it's the same, it doesn't work. In the 40d it says error 01 (something about cleaning the contacts of the lens). I did that of course, but the problem is still there.

It's weird that when i go beyond 24mm it doesn't work, but it does if i keep the focal length in 24mm.