Thread: Broken lens

Broken lens

Wednesday I was in Ithaca, New York visiting my niece and we went to Taughannock Falls State Park. I set up on the wooden bridge near the falls and fired off a few shots. I was setting up for a 30 second exposure when all of a sudden my camera fell off the ball head and fell about five feet to the gorge floor. Most horrifying sound I have ever heard. The lever securing the L plate in the ball head was in the open position, no clue as to how it happened. Made my way over to where my parents and niece were and told them what happened. My niece immediately said she would climb down and look for it. Told her several times no, it was okay, but she insisted. Luckily the water was flowing on the opposite side from where my camera took a header. I guided my niece over to the small cluster of vegetation where I think it fell. After a minute of looking she found it. At this point all I cared about was the memory card figured the camera was toast. Helped my niece up the bank, gave her a big hug, and took my camera over to a bench to look at it. The only damage I could see was the lens (RF 24-105 F4 L) was separated some from the lens mount and one corner of the L plate was damaged. My niece turned it off before climbing back up. Back LCD was fine, no cracks or scratches. The hood would not come off, the front glass was fine. There was a little bit of water on the lens and camera body, but not near where the lens was separated. Removed the battery as a precaution and ejected the memory card. Card looked fine. Packed it up, left the park for some dinner. The next day I set about seeing if I could remove the lens and if it would accept another lens and turn on without throwing any errors. Lens came off no problem, contacts weren't bent, no debris where the sensor is. I have my R5 set to protect the sensor when turned off. I didn't hear anything rattling inside the camera and the body did not have any scratches, dings or cracks. Got my spare battery, spare card and another lens. Got everything ready and turned it on, it worked, no errors. Took a few shots and some video and everything was fine. Put the original card in and downloaded the pictures to my laptop with no issue. So happy I don't have to get a new camera and lens. Went out shooting at my local park today and had no issues.

Looked into getting a Canon CarePak but I didn't realize I had 90 days after purchasing the lens to get one. Lesson learned. I don't know if it can be repaired, and I have no clue where to take/send it. I prefer a place that is authorized to repair Canon gear but I'm not having any luck finding anyplace online. Maybe I need to word my search differently. Anyway, sorry for being longwinded, thanks for reading. Attaching a link to a picture I took after retrieving the camera

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/a05su...=q8gv67va&dl=0
    EOS R5 and EOS R with RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Extender EF 2x III, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 35mm f/1.2 IS USM, RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM, GORUCK GR-1 with TrekPak insert

Phew! That was a tense read. At first I was sure it was a disaster. Then I was worried for your niece. Then a bit of hope. Then, about as good as you could hope for!

Something similar has happened to me twice. Once I didn’t fully pull out a tripod leg so the unbalanced camera fell on rocks. I dove for it also landing on rocks. Did more damage to myself than the camera. The front lens filter was destroyed, the top window on the camera cracked. But a new filter/lens hood and a relatively inexpensive repair and I was on my bruised way.

Second time, I slipped and fell on rocks. The front of my first EF 24-70 snapped off the base and bounced into the creek. Insurance covered it and I got a surprising amount for the destroyed lens on eBay (I was clear what had happened).

Good times.

Glad the R5 is in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk