Thread: Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II zoom ring feel

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II zoom ring feel

This is probably a silly question, but I thought it might be worth asking everyone on the forums. When I turn the zoom ring on my new 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, I can slightly feel the gears inside that must be turning. I'm probably crazy, but I thought I'd ask if any of you notice the same thing (it's more noticeable if you turn the ring quickly). I just found it odd since no other zoom lens I own has ever felt that way, usually they're perfectly smooth. I'm guessing there's just a lot more glass to move around inside, so the mechanism is more heavy duty.
    - Trowski

Re: Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II zoom ring feel

Mine has a very tiny grittiness as I move it- not silky smooth like some zooms. I actually like it- it feels sort of hearty, kind of like the slightly gritter texture of the zoom ring itself (as compared with the Mk 1).

I can second what Jon says - the zoom mechanism is not silky-smooth like some other lenses.

Thanks for the confirmation guys. I was 99% sure it was fine, but when you spend that much on a lens you want to know everything is working as it should.
    - Trowski

Quote Originally Posted by Trowski
    Thanks for the confirmation guys. I was 99% sure it was fine, but when you spend that much on a lens you want to know everything is working as it should.

I know the feeling...