Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An Interesting 1DX review

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I may have to tap "Bill Me Later" for this one. Dang-it
    I really hate that "Bill Me Later" button ---
    Bob

In the Article, Andy Rouse comments on face detection on the Owl. I was under the impression that face detection only works with human faces.

I don't think that's face detection just because it's focusing on the Owl's head.

Is he just blowing hot air here or what?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I agree but I believe these were captive Owls, so getting the shots wasn't too challenging.
    I thought so, but that burst of owl in flight shots really made me jealous even if it's a captive one!
    BTW, if you hit that "bill me later' button, would you pass me you 1D III? 1DX is not for every one HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane View Post
    In the Article, Andy Rouse comments on face detection on the Owl. I was under the impression that face detection only works with human faces.

I don't think that's face detection just because it's focusing on the Owl's head.

Is he just blowing hot air here or what?

Rich
    The AF is supposed to jump to the best-available "human" face, according to the manual, if you have that feature turned on. I think that an owl's face would be enough to work. I'll give it a try on some wildlife and see what happens.

The 1DX may primarily be using the most common (and contrasty) feature of a face--the eyes--in order to track faces. If that's the case, the owl would be similar enough to work well for face tracking.

Here is another one but they are doing a more head to head comparison with the Nikon D4 for wedding shooters

http://xerodigital.ca/blog/

Does the Nikon have lower noise or is NR being applied.

In the above review when looking at the noise crops. In theTee shirt images it looks like the Nikon has some sort of NR applied. Why, because the image looks soft when compared to the Canon or am I just misinterpreting it?
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

There were always rumors that Nikon bakes their images a bit even when there isn't any that is supposed to be applied, and that made it tough to actually compare both big camera companies to each other.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.