Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
I am planning on using the 5DIV for a number of more years, but if I start doing a few true photography excursions, there will be times when a two body system will make sense. I've also been curious about the high MP camera bodies and if I would appreciate the increased resolutions as others seem to. But a high MP body doesn't make sense for me as my primary body as I simply shoot very much that requires the high MP. Thus, for a second body, I've been mulling over hypothetical 5DsR II or 7DIII (for wildlife).

So, the rumor has always been that Canon was working on two mirrorless camera's: one consumer and one "professional." My general assumption has been that the R is the consumer version, but the reality could be the opposite.

If the R was the professional version, which I have a hard time concluding, but then we'll see a ~$1,600 FF mirrorless camera. Maybe 24 MPs? It is odd to think that this is possible, but the R does have a number of professional features.

Assuming that the R was the consumer entry, I was thinking about what would entice me and came up with the following:

• 60 MP FF sensor with 24 MP crop mode (building off the pixel size of the 24 MP APS-C sensors Canon is using)
  • 5 fps in FF mode (base of 300 MB/s) and 12 fps in crop mode (base of 288 MB/s).
  • True RAW, but sRAW or mRAW where file sizes are 25-40 MB per shot.
  • Two card slots. Never had a failure, but I do like the feature.
  • Battery life in the 600-800 shots per charge range.

That is assuming DPAF can be found to be fast enough for wildlife, I am impressed enough with the EVF, and good weather sealing. But, that would essentially fit my needs of a second body, and if sRAW was really in the 25-40 MB range, maybe even my primary body.

We'll see what Canon comes up with. I've been fine shooting with a single camera, or on very rare occasions, pulling out my M3 or G7x II as a second body. But, if I start doing photo excursions, I can see a second body.
This mornings article on CR, CANON considers the R to be a 5D IV class camera. There will be higher MP bodies coming.

Will there be a 5Ds R and 7D III release?
The 5Ds R II release might be severely cannibalized by the release of a high MP R.
We shall see.