Thread: what do you think

what do you think

trying to expand my learning curve. took this shot of maple leaves on a sapling, backit in the evening with my 70-200f/4L with 1.4x extender, shot at f/8, 1/250sec, iso 400, in Av mode on my XSi. comments appreciated.

jim

Re: what do you think

lovin the bokeh on the shot, i like the light coming through the leaves and the contrast that it plats in the composition.

[Y]

jim, nice shot,....i like the background bokeh as well....when i first opened the shot it looked kinda like the back ground was moving....

must of been the bokeh to the right of the leaves. maybe some contrast and highlight adjustments and those leaves may POP a little more.

Really nice composition, Jim! I think that a -1/3 or -2/3 EV would have brought out a little more of the vein detail in the leaves, without sacrificing the backlighting effect. If you shot in RAW you might try adjusting the exposure. A lot of times with backlit shots of leaves, I do a bracketed exposure set (in a narrow range like -0.67,-1.33,and as-metered) so I can pick the right balance of leaf detail and highlights. If I have time for just one shot (like, when it's windy and I need to wait for that one little pause in the breeze), I shoot just -2/3 EV and RAW processing gives the exposure latitude to fine tune.

--John

thanks for the comments guys, and john, no i didnt shoot in RAW, i shoot about 90% of the time in jpeg, and any adjustments i tried making to improve the veins, well, it way diminished the light comeing through the leaf. so i have left it alone. the shot as seen is how it came out of the camera, no post processing and no cropping. i'm starting a file on pics that i would like to enlarge, i've already done one shot (one of my chickidee pics)on canvas at 16x24, and am thinking of doing this one next. appreciate the comments and input guys

jim

Nice shot Jim! I love the contrast and light trough the leaves.

I like it, it looks sort of peaceful. I like that[Y]

Jan

thanks jan..........i'm actually thinking of maybe getting it enlarged up to 16x24 or somewhere around there and printing it on canvas.......i think it would look good on a wall somewhere

jim

Quote Originally Posted by lynx0069
    i think it would look good on a wall somewhere

It would do great in some sort of Zen-garden []

16*24 sounds really cool. I like to print my photos large as well, now that you mention it, I need to print a new one for in my room. This one already is up there for like 2 months...time for change [H]