Thread: Cheap good tripod

Cheap good tripod

Hey guys, I forgot to mention that I'm also looking for a new tripod as well. What's everyone's take on ball heads vs. 3-way heads and once decided does anybody have any particulars in mind that are relatively cheap to pick up?

Mike

Re: Cheap good tripod

There is no such thing as a tripod or head that is both good and cheap. There are three main factors - stable, light, and inexpensive. You can usually find 1.5 of those together, rarely two (depending on how you define inexpensive), but never all three. A pile of bricks is stable and inexpensive. Cheap, stable tripods will be very heavy, and even then will be made of metal, and thus transmit vibration.

My recommendation is to save and get a mid-level tripod - Manfrotto is about the best combination of quality and value, and it's the least expensive 'good' brand, IMO.

Regarding the head, get a ballhead for flexibility, preferably one with a separate panning lock. Three-way heads are better for video.

Hi Mike,

I was recently looking for a new/better tripod that was decently affordable as well, and I landed on the Manfrotto 190XB Tripod with 496RC2 Ballhead. I really like it so far. Stable enough for my needs, not too large, and I never knew what I was missing not having a ballhead before. Amazing. The flexibility is great, and it's so easy to lock it down very quickly in almost any position. The 190XB was a good choice for me.

Alex
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8

I have the same combo as Alex and find it to be pretty good too.

Manfrotto 055XPROB.

I agree with Neuro on the 1.5 factor point.

What do you guys think about the 498RC2 Head? Its like the 496 but with the pan lock that neuro suggests is good. I'll look into the 055XPROB though bburns. Thanks!