Thread: CyberSync Questions

CyberSync Questions

Hi all,

I know there are a couple of threads in remote flash triggers, I hope you don't mind me opening one more to talk about the CyberSyncs.

I would like to remotely trigger my 580EX II (hopefully, I'll get a second one soon) from my 40D. I have also decided that I probably don't want to rely on the infrared Canon triggers, since it seems as if the radio-based ones are more reliable, especially outdoors.

I have seriously considered the new PocketWizard ControlTL line, but they are damn expensive. And I've seen a few folks recommending the CyberSyncs.

So, a couple of questions. First, do they work reliably with the 580EX II? And will I have to connect them to the flash through the PC connector port?

In terms of metering, one of the advantages of the latest PocketWizards is the fact that they support E-TTL II (and I assume they will be easier to use), whereas the CyberSyncs do not. So, for the CyberSyncs, how do I choose the right settings? Are there any techniques / methods / tools to help? Or will it be mostly trial-and-error? As you can see, I'm a flash newbie, so any pointers would be appreciated.

Finally, I found the AlienBees web site pretty confusing to read (the information is kind of there, but the presentation is all over the place); or maybe I'm stupid! :-) So, will I need a single CST and one CSRB per flash? And what's the difference between the CSRB and the CSRB+?

Apologies for the long post and thanks in advance for any info you'll be able to share.

Regards,

Tony

Re: CyberSync Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Printezis

So, for the CyberSyncs, how do I choose the right settings? Are there any techniques / methods / tools to help?
    A good flash meter helps here. The one I use is the Sekonic L-358. It is about $260. It gives a simultaneous display of flash, ambient and combined readings.
    It also is compatible with the pocket wizard.
    I use it with a single off camera flash for fill using the ambiant light as the main light. I am controlling my flash with the Micro-Sync slave unit.

Mark

Mark

You're right in the fact that Cybersyncs do not transmit ETTL data. Trial and error is your friend--it won't take long until it becomes almost instinctual (I usually set up my strobes, set the power, then take a couple of test shots...and I'm usually not off by much if I am at all).

Finally, I found the AlienBees web site pretty confusing to read (the information is kind of there, but the presentation is all over the place); or maybe I'm stupid! :-) So, will I need a single CST and one CSRB per flash? And what's the difference between the CSRB and the CSRB+?

The Cybersyncs (Alien Bee) website is rather confusing. You'll need a CST to go on your camera and a CSRB connected to each flash (so one CST and multiple CSRB, depending on how many flashes you're triggering). To connect the Cybersync to your flash, I'd suggest this from flashzebra. That particular device will allow you to connect just about any flash to your Cybersyncs (as long as it isn't a very old flash with a ridiculously high sync voltage).

The difference between the CSRB and the CSRB+ is that the CSRB+ will allow you to remotely adjust Alien Bee (and White Lightning) strobe output using the yet-to-be-released Cybersync Commander. If using only hotshoe flashes, then that feature is useless to you.

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb
    The one I use is the Sekonic L-358. It is about $260.

Ouch. If I get the two CyberSync units + this, then they are basically the same price as the two new PWs that can do TTL (and I assume they would be easier to use).

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    Trial and error is your friend

Hi Sean, the wonders of digital, eh? ;-)

The Cybersyncs (Alien Bee) website is rather confusing.

I'm glad you also think so!!!

To connect the Cybersync to your flash, I'd suggest this from flashzebra.

Is this necessary or is this an improvement? Don't the CSRBs come with PC connector cables?

using the yet-to-be-released Cybersync Commander.

The difference is basically $20. Do you think it's worth the extra investment? I.e., will the Commander be helpful?

Again, apologies for all the questions!

Tony

Is this necessary or is this an improvement? Don't the CSRBs come with PC connector cables?

Yes, the Cybersyncs come with many cables. However, I don't own a 580EX II so I don't know if the cables that come with the Cybersyncs will plug into the flash directly (they may, though). With the adapter I mentioned, you can use any flash with the CSRBs--and personally, I feel it's the best option if you have several different types of flashes (as you don't need a different cable for each one). That may not be important to you, but it is to me. I currently have 3 different models of flashes that I use.

The difference is basically $20. Do you think it's worth the extra investment? I.e., will the Commander be helpful?

That depends on whether or not you'll ever want to purchase and use Alien Bee strobes. The Cyber Commander and the added value of the CSRB+ receivers will be worthless to you if you never own Alien Bee strobes.

The one I use is the Sekonic L-358. It is about $260.

Ouch.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Ouch is right but it is worth it for me.

(and I
    assume they would be easier to use).

The new PW gives you ETTL. Can't get much easier than that but I do not like ETTL when there is a wedding dress. I find the Sekonic to be very easy to use compared to trial and error.

On a budget and not shooting for money I would go with the trial and error too. You'll probably learn flash photography better as well.

Mark
    Mark

Mark and Sean,

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, the Cybersyncs come with many cables. However, I don't own a 580EX II so I don't know if the cables that come with the Cybersyncs will plug into the flash directly (they may, though).

The 580EX II does have a PC connector and apparently there's a PC connector cable supplied with the CyberSyncs. I suppose I can always order them on their own first and, if I can't get them to work, I'll look into the cable you recommended.

That may not be important to you, but it is to me.

I don't think it will be, I think I'll stick to Canon flashes.

The Cyber Commander and the added value of the CSRB+ receivers will be worthless to you if you never own Alien Bee strobes.

And I'm not planning to get any, so that's an easy decision! So, the total will be $130 for one CST and one CSRB. This is pretty good price! It's 2/3s of the price of one of the PWs.

Ouch is right but it is worth it for me.

I bet, as it does look like a solid piece of equipment (I read some of the reviews). BTW, and again excuse my ignorance, does it only do flash metering, or metering in general? Maybe a more advanced metering system, for tricky situations, might be useful in general.

On a budget and not shooting for money I would go
    with the trial and error too. You'll probably learn flash photography
    better as well.

I think I'll go with that at the beginning!

Tony

does it only do flash metering, or metering in general?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

It gives a simultaneous display of flash, ambient and combined readings. One reading it gives both so you can balance the flash and available light.

Mark
    Mark