Thread: Canon mark III

Canon mark III

I am considering upgrading to the Canon Mark III and hoping someone can help me out. Does anyone know what manufacture date I should be looking for? I understand some of the first cameras had focussing issues and that they were fixed in the later models. Thanks in advance to anyone can guide me to the right date.

Re: Canon mark III

I know I can be anal-retentive, but please be more specific: instead of "the Canon Mark III", tell us which camera you're talking about. There are two currently (1D3 and 1Ds3), and there will be a third someday (5D3).

Reading between the lines, you seem to be referring to the 1D3. Assuming so, you want one manufactured after October 2007 (blue dot) or one that's been repaired (white dot). If you remove the battery and look straight in the battery slot, Canon has marked the cameras with a spot from a small permanent marker to identify manufacturing changes and repairs for the AF issue.

Keep in mind that there are other focusing issues with BOTH the 1D3 and 1Ds3; see http://robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_p...8740-9068-9420 for further information. It seems that the predictive algorithm for AI Servo AF is too aggressive, and leads the subject at times during shooting.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Thanks peety3

Mr. Galbraith could earn a Ph.D degree with his Evaluation on the 1D3's autofocus. My question: Is his expectation for the camera too high? Everyone I know who owns the camera loves it, and they're bird photographers and birds can move quite fast and erraticaly.

It is a great camera, and I will ALWAYS use mine before I go reaching for my girlfriend's 40D. I love my 1D3, but it does still have problems.

Birds can't fly AT the camera forever - they'll usually turn profile at some point; that's when the AF works well.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Peety, thanks for pointing that out. So if the subject is coming straight at you, that's when the 1D3 has AF problem? Honestly, Mr. Galbraith's articleis too long and comprehensive for me to read everything. In this case not just the 1D3 has that problem but Nikon shooters have that problem with their D3 too. You're right, unlike a100m sprinter,birdsdon't fly at the camera forever.

Tank,

I just got my new1D Mark III delivered by UPS from Adorama yesterday afternoon. My serial number is 575593. The box has a yellow dot on it indicating that it was produced after the mirror adjustementproblem was discoverd and relsovled. It has firmware revision 1.2.3 (latest and greatest, also indicated by the yellow dot). I don't have the date code with me so I can't post itright now. The serial numbers associated with the mirror problem are known to be: 501001 to 546561. See link to canons service notices below:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&fcategoryi d=215&modelid=14999&keycode=2112&id=39 707

I spent half the night reading, learning, walking through all of the set up processes. I'm stoking with all the features and custom settings. Went out this morning, before work,at the crack of dawn to take pictures and really started the learning process. So far so good but I have much more to do and learn before I feel comfortable and confident with this camera. There are a lot of resources to help the learning process, the two links below are a good start:

http://www.usa.canon.com/uploadedimages/FCK/Image/2007/MARK%20III%20Suggested%20Settings%20121207/EOS1D_1DsMark_IIIoptimizingAFsettings_Final.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGYNidLEk3I

Kyle

Thanks again to all,

Tank

I'm sitting on the fence trying to decide on the 1D MKIII. I have another thread going on here asking for input from owners actually using the camera in the world. I was glad to see a couple of people who own the camera are posting.

I've had the same concern as voiced by a previous poster. Rob Galbraith's report on the autofocus problem is spectacular, but leaves me wondering if the problem would impact me. I know the problemwas limited to a narrow set of conditions and I'm wondering if working photographersare having issues.

Any more input from 1D Mk II owners would be appreciated.