Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please suggest a reliable external storage.

Please suggest a reliable external storage.

I am looking for a reliable external storage device and would greatly appreciate any input pointing me to a dependable device. I would like to have at least 500GB to 1TB.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Please suggest a reliable external storage.

You definately want a Drobo

I get all of my tech stuff from NewEgg.com. I've tried various hard drives over the years and have been using Western Digital exclusively for a quite a few years.

Check this out:

Western Digital Element 1TB 3.5" Black External Hard Drive

I'm using this same drive and love it.

------------------

BTW - Always use the links on this site when you shop to help support it. The link above was made using one. This is a copy of the Newegg link:
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

I always find Western Digital & Seagate to be very reliable - from many years of experience with them.

I myself have 2 Seagate FreeAgent drives, 1 500GB and 1 1TB, both superb!

I hate to name a bad product by name but I've had terrible luck with Maxtor. I've never had one last more than a couple of years and a few that didn't last long at all.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead5811

I hate to name a bad product by name but I've had terrible luck with Maxtor. I've never had one last more than a couple of years and a few that didn't last long at all.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

ditto to that! although, seagate now own maxtor :P says it all really lol

Quote Originally Posted by lculpin

You definately want a [url="http://www.drobo.com/]Drobo[/url]
    After reading up on them I want one now (I really like their choice of WD drives)...but can't afford it due to the fact that most of my "free" money is aimed at lenses and whatnot.

You definately want a Drobo

I couldn't agree more. I've had the oroginal Drobo for a few years and Im quite happy with it. Even now, a few years later, nothing beatsthe flexibility and reliability. The only downside of my drobo is the transfer speed, but to be fair that applies to all USB drives. The newer Drobosare supposed to be faster, though.

[quote=piiooo]

You definately want a [url="http://www.drobo.com/]Drobo[/url]
    [/quote]

I couldn't agree more. I've had the oroginal Drobo for a few years and Im quite happy with it. Even now, a few years later, nothing beatsthe flexibility and reliability. The only downside of my drobo is the transfer speed, but to be fair that applies to all USB drives. The newer Drobosare supposed to be faster, though.

I have never heard of them before! (Drobo that is)But I am impressed!

It's one of those things that sounds expensive up front (cuz it is :P) but once you have one... totally worth it. You can buy all of the lenses and cameras you want, but if you lose all the shots you took with them due to a hard drive failure it don't matter much :P

I think the best thing about them is that there's no real maintenance required... install and forget