Thread: Glacier National Park here we come

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mountain goats are on my bucket list, was looking for them in Yellowstone and Tetons w/ no luck. Any precise suggestions would be very helpful.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Mountain goats are on my bucket list, was looking for them in Yellowstone and Tetons w/ no luck. Any precise suggestions would be very helpful.
    It's been a couple of years for me since I've been up and over the Bear Tooth Pass. However, I remember that those goats were near the top of the pass. Near that area, is a ski slope. It's got lots of off road parking, and the reason being: goats!

When I put Bear Tooth into Google earth I get N.E. Yellowstone - same spot as you are thinking, just double checking

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    When I put Bear Tooth into Google earth I get N.E. Yellowstone - same spot as you are thinking, just double checking
    Yep, it's pretty close to the Cooke City entrance. Bear Tooth Pass is north of Cody, WY, and just south of Cooke City. If you are traveling up from FL, go through Cody, then up 120 til you hit the junction of 296. This is the Chief Joseph scenic highway (also very beautiful). When you get to the junction of 296 and 212, traveling north, you hang a right onto 212. This is the start of the Bear Tooth Pass on the WY side. It goes way up, then comes back down, and heads right into Red Lodge.

Then, return on 212, and head up to Glacier.

You're gonna love it.

I have a job that requires flying every week - so we going to burn the frequent flyer miles and fly up, then rent a car.

Not sure if we are going to get to Bear Tooth it is 5-7 hours from Glacier - will likely hit it next time.