Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripods and (ball)heads

Tripods and (ball)heads

I'm looking for a good tripod and ballhead for a reasonably price.

Please tell me what do you use and how good (or bad) it is.

For the ballhead, I think that the acratech GV2 is what I'd like to have, but it's too expensive and I might not get it right now, so do you have any other suggestions for something cheaper but yet good enough?

...I said cheaper, not cheap - I'm not looking for something cheap to put my camera on. For other stuff like off camera lighting or lens hood I wouldn't mind go cheap, but I'm not putting my camera on a cheap tripod/head.

Is there anyone here who uses something other than ballhead?

Also, if someone here have some used tripod/ballhead and would like to sell it, let me know. Again, only high-end gear, if I buy used to save money, I'd go for good stuff and not cheap stuff - think acratech/manfrotto style.

Re: Tripods and (ball)heads

I had a similar thread running a while ago which got some excellent replies, especially from George Slusher. You can find it here http://community.the-digital-picture...ums/t/620.aspx .

I have since bought the Feisol 3372 with CB-50 ballhead and can't recommend it more. I'm convinced it's the best value for money option available. I intend on doing a thorough review thread at some point but haven't had the time.

Looks nice, but it's a $500 tripod - I could buy a new Gitzo tripod for the same price.

I thought the good Gitzos were much more than that, especially including head - and besides, I believe Gitzos are much heavier.

It's hard to know what to advise though as you've not put a figure on your budget - on the one hand you don't want to spend too much, on the other hand you say you don't mind investing on good kit.

I will not give a budget since this is not one of those threads...

What I was looking for was to hear your thoughts and personal experience with different gear.

I looked into the Feisol CB-50 ballhead he was talking about, and it looks like a very good ballhead for the money.

Where do you buy Feisol products? I could not find them at either B&H or Adorama.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Where do you buy Feisol products? I could not find them at either B&H or Adorama.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Straight from the manufacturer. ;-)

Hey Feanor and thanks for the help. Does the CB-50D ballhead in Sean's link come with the quick release clamp included? (it seem like it does but I just want to make sure).

Feanor,

A few questions:

1) How is panning with the CB-50 head? Do you need to add the PB-70 panning base or can it be done without it?

2) What about the quick release? Is it strictly proprietary or can you use an Arca-Type Quick Release Adapter?