Thread: need some advice---filter and hood question from newbie

need some advice---filter and hood question from newbie

I need some help...

I am thinking of buying some filters, one of them circular polarizer, and some hoods.

I currently have the following lenses for my Canon 40D:

17-85 IS

50 f/1.4

70-200 f/4 IS

I will be getting 10-22 mm sometime in the near future and perhaps replace 17-85 with something brighter, but honestly, this one I have is very good and I do not have much need to change it. I do not use it as ofter. Most of the time indoor I use 50 f/1.4 and outdoor 70-200, or both and I could use the wider lens to experiment when I get better.

As you can see, all of these lenses require (at least to my knowledge) different hoods and different filter sizes. I have read that you could buy something that would allow filter to step up from smaller size lens to largest, but would that then work with the hoods that come standard with the lenses I have (I have some of the ones that were recommended for my lenses but I could replace them with other if that was necessary, I just do not know how that is supposed to work). I also got the typical L disease and I will be probably getting some L lenses in the future, so I understand that my best bet would be to go for 77 mm filters. So what do I do? Do I get different filters for each lens and different hood for each of them or is there a compromise or some way this could all work with one filter, step up ring and fewer hoods than gazillion that would fit over existing lenses with those filters with step up on? I hope I explained it clearly, I am really just learning, so please excuse if I am not very precise...

Also, Brian recommends B+W. Are those the filters most of you use? I would like to buy really good ones and I am willing to spend my $$$ on them, maybe not all at once, but I am pretty commited to quality. Thanks for all your help guys.

Re: need some advice---filter and hood question from newbie

Bryan recommends that you go with the B+W filters, and he has much much greater experience than I do, so I stick to his recommendations. I currently have just the 17-85 lens and I got a 67mm B+W UV (MRC) filter for it.

I have a hoya 77mm Circular Polarizer (HOCP77 on B&H) and haven't had any complaints. It stops down just about 2 stops which was alot more than a really cheap quantaray filter I bought for my really cheap 70-300 haha. The extra stop of so took some getting used to but I'm very happy with it.

7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

BES....I also have the 17-85IS plus the 100-400IS (77mm).

For the 17-85 I have a step up ring to accommodate the 77mm B&W CPF that fits the 100-400IS.

With the step up ring attached to the 17-85 I cannot attach the EW-73B hood, but w/a little patience and a surgeon's fingers dexterity (no I'm not a Dr [] )....you can attach the ring and CPF while the hood is on.

One word of caution, if you do this, do not overly tighten either component, i.e. the step up ring to the lens, nor the CPF to the step up ring. You will find w/the minimum space between the ring/CPF and hood it is difficult to get a good grip to remove said items.

I should also mention, I only do this when I feel the conditions deem it absolutely necessary to have the CPF and hood on the 17-85 lens together.

Regards

Bill

OK, so I understand I could use some step up rings for filters but does it mean I can use the same hoods or they will not fit with the step up ring (larger filter). If that is the case, I will have to buy a filter for each of my lenses, am I correct? or do I have to decide when and on which lens I want to use PF and just get that. So here is another question....on which lenses do you guys use your PF most?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I am as confused as can be, so please help a girl that could use your fantastic help.

I would say to start with a 67mm filter. With two of your lenses accepting these filters, I don't think it's worth the hassle of using step-up rings for both of them, just to accomodate the 10-22.

I think it would be best to buy 67mm filters for the 17-85 and 70-200, and then buy your 77mm for the 10-22. Obviously this solution is very pricey, so you may be best off with step-up rings, if this is over budget.

Hopefully I provided you with some insight...

- Alex

Quote Originally Posted by alexniedra

I would say to start with a 67mm filter. With two of your lenses accepting these filters, I don't think it's worth the hassle of using step-up rings for both of them, just to accomodate the 10-22.

I think it would be best to buy 67mm filters for the 17-85 and 70-200, and then buy your 77mm for the 10-22. Obviously this solution is very pricey, so you may be best off with step-up rings, if this is over budget.

Hopefully I provided you with some insight...

- Alex
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Alex, this makes perfect sense. i do not think I will ever use CPF on my 50 f/1.4 so this is no-issue. And in time I will get 77mm CPF since I do not even have 10-22mm lens, i should not be so concerned right now. Thanks a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by BES
    Alex, this makes perfect sense. i do not think I will ever use CPF on my 50 f/1.4 so this is no-issue. And in time I will get 77mm CPF since I do not even have 10-22mm lens, i should not be so concerned right now. Thanks a bunch.

Great - Glad to see I've helped you out[]