Thread: Post Your Best Portrait Shots!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Taking pictures of babies isn't too terribly difficult, is it? I know I've regretted nearly every 2-6 year old shoot...
    Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Wonderful shot, Mark! I don't have much experience except for with my grandkids & I fully agree with Sean ...2 & 3 yr. olds are MUCH more difficult!
    To take a good picture of a newborn is much more difficult than a 2-6 year-old in my experience. I almost exclusively shoot children. In the past two years I've shot about two dozen children's portrait sessions and about one dozen newborn sessions. Lighting a newborn is easy because it's pretty much like shooting still life. Getting both the pose and perspective right can be very challenging. I still learn something every time I shoot a newborn and it never has to do with f-stops, lighting ratios, etc. When you get it right though it's very satisfying as you know that you are capturing a moment that is the most fleeting. I have a new 6-week-old of my own and you can almost watch her grow!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson View Post
    I have a new 6-week-old of my own and you can almost watch her grow!
    Well said Mark - me too! My daughter is 6 weeks old today and my wife and I have tried a couple of photo sessions......very challenging to say the least. The timing has to be perfect. We find outselves setting up.....then waiting until she is ready, ha ha. What a challenge. Here's one from 2 weeks ago....

I used natural light from windows camera left and bounced flash off the white ceiling, 430EX. A few touch-ups in LR3 to lessen any harsh shadows and soften the image a bit.

C&C welcome everyone. As you can imagine, I have no clue if I'm on the right track or not. Thanks in advance. I think my biggest flaw is DOF - I think I needed a bit more....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edited-7656.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	101

Cheers,

Damian
    Last edited by DLS; 11-19-2011 at 02:56 AM.