Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Photography - Macro Lens Advice Needed!

New to Photography - Macro Lens Advice Needed!

I am very new to photography and this site. I just bought a Canon EOS Rebel T1i camera and I am ready to expand my lens collection from the two kit lenses it came with. I have narrowed my macro lens decision down to two and cannot decide which is best....the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro or the Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) Macro. Of course,great bokeh is very important and other than the fact I like the $300 difference going with the Tamron but this one does not have IS. I am not fond of using a tripod, will not having IS be a major issue with getting good shots??????

I also am looking at getting the Canon EF 300mm f/4.0 L IS lens and I am wondering if anyone has had any problems with this lens.

Advice greatly appreciated! []

Re: New to Photography - Macro Lens Advice Needed!

I don't have a macro lens yet, but my understanding from reading others' posts here is that IS would be very important for handheld macro work, and still may not make enough difference. I preemptively got a good tripod this week just in case. You may want to consider the same tactic.

This also leads me to suggest the Canon 100mm f/2.8 L IS, since it has the most advanced hybrid IS system in any Canon lens to date, a precursor to IS in future lenses.

Thank you so much for your quick response to my post! I value your advice and the kit I bought did come with a tripod, looks like I had better get comfortable using it ...I think it's going to end up having to be my new companion! []

Welcome to the forum (and photography)!

I'm sure some of the macro shooters in the forum will pick up on this thread soon. In the mean time, I'll do my best to help you out. Although I do not have personal experience using macro lenses, I'll try my best to provide some useful guidance. I'm giving you advice based mainly on the implementation and advantages of Image Stabalization. For specific information regarding image quality testing, working distance and quality of bokeh, I suggest reading Bryan's very helpful review (Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro lens review)

From my experience, both lenses perform very well with respect to their image quality. The images that I have seen shot with the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro were outstanding. I've heard nothing but great things about this lens. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the performance of the Tamron.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I am not fond of using a tripod, will not having IS be a major issue with getting good shots??????

When shooting Macro, keep in mind that depth of field is very scarce at (or approaching) maximum magnification. This means that you may opt for shooting with narrower apertures. Also, a significant amount of light is lost at high magnifications. I think that implementation of Image Stabilization is a great feature, especially when stability is very important - In macro lenses.

If you don't feel comfortable, don't have the space or time to use a tripod for your macro shooting, I think it would be wise to consider the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro over the Tamron. But those are just my thoughts - Maybe your budget calls you to purchase the Tamron 180mm f/3.5 instead.

I hope I have made your purchase decision a little bit easier. I think you are thinking very clearly about your needs so far.

- Alex

This is kinda off topic but what in the world do all those letters in the Tamron lens mean?? I got a few good guesses but sheesh. Talk about going a little overboard with the model designations...

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints
    This is kinda off topic but what in the world do all those letters in the Tamron lens mean??

I was wondering about that. I still like the sound of EF f/xx L IS USM instead. []

lol! I have absolutely no idea but sure looks/sounds impressive! I'm the newbie so heck I just learned what IS is not to long ago []

Thanks, Alex! I am trying to learn so much, it's starting to get a tad jumbled in head. I did read Bryan's review and it was extremely helpful ...I hope he posts one on the Tamron soon, his opinion would really make my decision a lot easier.

Since I am hoping to get the Canon EF 300mmf/4.0 L IS at the same time, saving a few $$ would help but definitely not worth it if not having IS in the macro would short change me on beautiful photos! I have seen so many nice ones posted that were taken with the Tamron ...maybe they just have a sturdier hand than I do!

Thanks so much for the reply ...keep 'em coming, I'm sure I will have many new questions in the near future []

Denise (ddt0725)

AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) somewhat decoded...

From Bryan's review of the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di Lens, the breakdown is:

SP - Super Performance (Tamron's highest quality lens line)

AF - Autofocus

XR - Extra Refractive Glass (reduces lens size)

Di - Digitally Integrated Design (to reduce ghosting, flare, CA and peripheral light fall-off along with improved resolution)

LD - Low-Dispersion lens elements (to reduce chromatic aberration for sharper images)

Aspherical - contains aspherical elements (compensates for spherical
    aberration and distortion, making for better performance with fewer
    elements (and thus allowing for smaller, lighter lenses)

(IF) - Internal Focusing

[and not in Bryan's review]

FEC - Filter Effect Control function that enhances operational ease of Polarizing Filter use.

A/M - Autofocus & Manual focus (they may be referring to the clutch mechanism, or else a full time manual focus)

WoW!

Thanks for the breakdown, Sean. Now I won't have nightmares of Tamron's lens-naming system any more...[]