Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Focus Stacking?

Focus Stacking?

Focus Stacking? I understand the term, But I have no idea when it is best used or how to do it-----methods, software, basic instruction would be appreciated---Nothing long or detailed, just a basic understanding on what this is and how you do it would be very interesting.

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob

Re: Focus Stacking?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams

Focus Stacking? I understand the term, But I have no idea when it is best used or how to do it-----methods, software, basic instruction would be appreciated---Nothing long or detailed, just a basic understanding on what this is and how you do it would be very interesting.

Thanks,

Bob
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Interesting topic, but maybe this link may be of some assistance as it mentions software and some sample shots.

http://www.wonderfulphotos.com/articles/macro/focus_stacking/
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by elmo_2006

Interesting topic, but maybe this link may be of some assistance as it mentions software and some sample shots.
    <p sizset="41" sizcache="21"]http://www.wonderfulphotos.com/articles/macro/focus_stacking/

I have been looking into this also and I read that article the other day and found it informative but also found downloading the suggested program confusing as far as which version etc. Anyone know of any other programs to use?

Denise

Alan

Bob, I have some experience with this. I use Photoshop CS5 to do the focus stacking, but there are other programs out there that can accomplish it.

Basically, you take 2 or more pictures, with each of them focused on a different part of the image. You load the images into the program, which "stack" the images one on top of each other. After you highlight all the images, you do blend of the images, and the program finds the areas that don't match and eliminates them.

In Photoshop, this is called a script.

It works best with static objects, like a landscape scene, where things are not moving (wind can cause blurring, depending on what is moving in the wind).

For me, most of my focused stacked processes are done with 2 images. I use the back AF button (disconnecting the shutter button from focusing). I set my camera to f/8, focus something close in the foreground (let's say, a rock or a bush), then move the camera to where I want the final image composition to be. I take the shot.

Without moving the camera, I hit the back AF button again, which will be on the background object (whatever that might be). It now refocuses on that object. I take the second shot.

These two images are put into Photoshop and a script is run on them, like described above.

The result is that Photoshop throws away all of the out of focus areas. The two images are then "flattened" and the resulting single image is in perfect focus from the foreground to the background.

It makes it possible to take a picture that has a very deep depth of field, without using high f/stops. I've found that the images are sharper than hyperfocal distant focusing, too.

Another great use is macro shots. You can get really close to, say, a flower, and take several manually focused images, stack them, and get a nicely focused flower from top to bottom.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Here is an example of one I did while in the Grand Teton park. It's a shot of the Old Patriarch tree. The first and second shots are the foreground and background focused. The third is the stacked image, followed by a slight cropping and further adjustment in Photoshop.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/3113.foreground.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/0636.background.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/0410.Old-Patriarch.jpg[/img]

This is a very interesting subject! I had never heard of focus stacking before.

I would be interested on what would happen if you used a very narrow depth of field and focused on two separate obects/points. Could you create a photo with two distinct focus planes and keep the other areas OOF? You would have (for example) one object in the foreground in focus and one object in the background in focus with the area in between OOF. Is this possible? I guess it would depend on how the blending of the two photos was done via software....

Stephen

I

Beautiful photo, Alan. I

Denise - You can download a 30 day trial of CS5 from Adobe. It

Alan, Great Explanation---Thanks a bunch.

Bob
    Bob