Thread: 7D or 5Dmkii?

7D or 5Dmkii?

Either of these two bodies would be a significant upgrade for me.

I think I want a full frame but don't know if I should wait for the markIII and get a 7d until that day arrives. Are the AF issues of the mkII sigificant or of little consequence. I do not shoot a lot of action/sports. One reviewer felt that a well refined older system (AF) would be 'safer' than a new untested system. I tend to be risk averse. 'Too much information..' looking for guidance.

I want to upgrade soon as I have a trip planned in the near future. Is the learning curve for either of these cameras so steep that I should wait until after the trip? I've been attempting to ake photos for a long time, have had a canon dslr for several years, reasonable familiar with manipulating settings on present camera.

Help, Mr. Wizard!

Re: 7D or 5Dmkii?

In my experience, the 5DII autofocus issues are significant for quickly moving subjects, but for non-moving or slowly moving subjects, the 5DII af is great.

As for the "new untested" nature of the 7D, I wouldn

Actually having both cameras, I have to say the af of the 5d af in certain situations performs better than the 7d. For action,sport and wildlife the 7d is better. If those three are not that important to you go with the 5d.

Quote Originally Posted by djh

Either of these two bodies would be a significant upgrade for me.

I think I want a full frame but don't know if I should wait for the markIII and get a 7d until that day arrives. Are the AF issues of the mkII sigificant or of little consequence. I do not shoot a lot of action/sports. One reviewer felt that a well refined older system (AF) would be 'safer' than a new untested system. I tend to be risk averse. 'Too much information..' looking for guidance.

I want to upgrade soon as I have a trip planned in the near future. Is the learning curve for either of these cameras so steep that I should wait until after the trip? I've been attempting to ake photos for a long time, have had a canon dslr for several years, reasonable familiar with manipulating settings on present camera.

Help, Mr. Wizard!

Both of these bodies are excellent. The 7D is tried and true and works very well. Sure the MKIV for $5000 works better, but the 7D is still very good. The 5DII does not have any AF issues, it actually auto focuses better than the 7D in low light, since AF speed also depends on light gathering ability. Don't confuse a slower fps speed, with AF issues. The 5DII resolves 21MP of resolution and it has a slower frame rate per second (3.9fps) on purpose, perhaps due to the current technology that Canon has, or due to selective marketing, or to keep the cost down. If you want FF and better metering and a faster AF system then your options would be a 1Ds MKIII and that is only 5fps and it's a lot more expensive, or wait for the 5DIII and hope that it will have a faster frame rate. The 1D MKIV with it's 1.3 crop sensor, is sort of a hybrid between the 1Ds MKIII and the 7D.

It comes down to the 5DII is better for landscapes, portraits and slower moving subjects. It also has less noise in lower light due to it's FF sensor. It's also more expensive.

The 18MP 7D (8fps) is better for faster moving action (sports), longer reach for wildlife. It also has higher noise due to it's smaller crop sensor. It is also less expensive.

Whether or not you could wait for the 5DIII, depends on your current needs.

I'm not sure when your trip is, but if you're familiar with Canon Bodies, then either one should be easy for you to learn relatively quickly.

Rich

Also having both, I

Also having both, I find the ergos and controls of the 7D preferable to the 5DMkII. I also find the AF in most situations to be far superior. I can