Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buy Lens or Save for new Body?

Buy Lens or Save for new Body?

I've started using my Canon 40D a lot more and even spent the $100 and picked up a 50/1.8 also.. and I'm loving my camera again.

But I've thinking more and more about the future, I think my next logical purchase is a real Flash.

Now here's the next question... I've been thinking about getting new Lens, most likely a Wide Angle, Zoom (70-200) most likely and possibly replacing one day the walk around lens with something expensive one day like a 24-70.

But I feel with my camera I'd be losing out if I bought any of the above and stuck them on the 40D as it's a 1.6x body versus a FF body.

So in your opinion(s) would you save for something like a 5D Mark II or start purchasing the Lens one by one?

Looking at the prices, the camera would cost me about the same as the Lens if not cheaper, but obviously I'd buy the Lens one by one and would be over time as the 5D is about the same price as 2-3 Lens

So need some opinions... and I'm just a hobbyist, not a professional, just something to do in my spare time and capture wonderful photos along my journeys!

Re: Buy Lens or Save for new Body?

the general consensus around here has always been to spend money on the glass, not the body (at least at first). this rule especially applies here because the 40D is an excellent body....good glass is NOT wasted on a 40D by any means!

glad you're getting back into it!
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8

The camera won't be cheaper - you can buy a 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM and a 24-70 f/2.8 L USM for the price of a 5d mk2.

I'd go for lenses and not body in your case, but as always, it depends on what exactly you are doing with your camera...

Looks like the Lens purchasing is winning for sure, now to decided which Lens to get first..

You've got a great body. Get the lens!!! You'll likely be using a lens long after you upgraded bodies.

Lens technology is a very mature technology. That being the case there's not alot of room for improvement and prices are pretty stable, rising even.

Bodies on the other hand are like computers, they drop in price all of the time.The longer you put of the purchase of an additional body the better one you will be able to get when that time comes.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

I got my 24-70 f/2.8 Lthree years ago for $1150, it's sold for $1270 today (without the rebate). Always invest in glass, camera bodies come and go, a good glass can last you over a decade. []

What lens to get next depends on what you have now.

I've got the EF-S 17-85mm that came with the kit and just the cheap/wonderful 50mm L/1.8 currently.

17-85 can be a wonderful general purpose lens, if you're constantly feeling lacking inreach then a telephoto zoom (70-200) is next.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen
    17-85 can be a wonderful general purpose lens, if you're constantly feeling lacking inreach then a telephoto zoom (70-200) is next.

That is exactly what I would do as well. 40D is a fine body and will serve you well. 70-200works on bothAPS-C and FF bodies.

Which 70-200 is the question

2.8 or 4... IS or Not?

Darn decisions! Expensive ones at that!