Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50D Battery Life???

50D Battery Life???

<span style="font-size: medium;"]I just finished my 5-day LA trip and got back home. I took my 50D with grip and TWO fully charged Canon like new genuine batteries with me. The camera has taken about 600 pictures, no live view used. There're some picture review time on the camera with LCD brightness set to 7, no continuous shooting and almost no flash use, little IS usage which can be ignored. But the batteries are now dead.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]How come a single BP511A battery on the 50D is said to have 640 shots of capacity? I don't see any major difference between the way I use the camera and the way anyone else does. Is any one here getting the battery life that Canon has claimed? It seems that I get the claimed battery life with 2 batteries.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Any thoughts welcome.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Ben

Re: 50D Battery Life???

Unfortunately that sounds about right After about 300 frames or so my battery shows that it's low.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin

<span style="font-size: medium;"]I just finished my 5-day LA trip and got back home. I took my 50D with grip and TWO fully charged Canon like new genuine batteries with me. The camera has taken about 600 pictures, no live view used. There're some picture review time on the camera with LCD brightness set to 7, no continuous shooting and almost no flash use, little IS usage which can be ignored. But the batteries are now dead.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]How come a single BP511A battery on the 50D is said to have 640 shots of capacity? I don't see any majoy difference between the way I use the camera and the way anyone else does. Is any one here getting the battery life that Canon has claimed? It seems that I get the claimed battery life with 2 batteries.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Any thoughts welcome.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Ben
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Don't use the LCD screen or flash at all and see what the result is. I bet it'd be close to their estimate. Just pick up a couple of cheap 3rd party batteries. I've been using 3rd party batteries for some time now and they work just fine. That way you've always got a spare, and it doesn't cost you a fortune.

I haven't had a chance to shoot 600 pictures all in one time, I did shot like 350 one time and about 400 at another time. When I shot the 350, it was a soccer game and I used high-speed 6.5fps all the time and took many pictures at one burst (more than 5 per burst for sure, maybe even 10) - by the end of the game my battery was dead, but I really can't remember whether it was charged before the game or not.

The other time with the 400 pictures I also don't remember if it was charged or not before I started using it, but anyway, it didn't die at all - I could take many more pictures if I wanted to. At this time of the 400 shots, I also used 6.5fps. It was my first time trying to shoot birds and I shot up to 11 pictures at one burst.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Just pick up a couple of cheap 3rd party batteries. I've been using 3rd party batteries for some time now and they work just fine. That way you've always got a spare, and it doesn't cost you a fortune.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I disagree. Stay away from 3rd party batteries for anything - let alone 3rd batts for your $1200 50D.

Thanks for the replies! Appreciated!

I have AA batteries as backup, I always insert 6 AAs into the magazine comes with the grip and take that as my spare power supply. I don't exactly know how many shots I can get out of the AAs at once but I don't expect to be more than two BP511As.

I will certainly try to minimize the LCD use the next time when I have the opportunity to take some 600 photos in a roll see if that indeed makes a difference. But practically speaking, people use LCD all the time. Especially when I'm taking photos for my girlfriend and she anxiously wants to see the outcome - you can imagine it's hard to spare the LCD that way...

I'll take my 1V when I get desperate, the battery in it will last 2 years for me[]

Just pick up a couple of cheap 3rd party batteries. I've been using 3rd party batteries for some time now and they work just fine. That way you've always got a spare, and it doesn't cost you a fortune.

I picked up an Adorama Lithium-Ion Replacement for the Canon BP-511A and it seems to perform about as well as my Canon OEM and for $19.95 instead of $49.95!

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

I disagree. Stay away from 3rd party batteries for anything - let alone 3rd batts for your $1200 50D.

In my personal experience, as long as the batteries are made for the camera you have, and you aren't getting the batteries from ebay, and you're buying from a fairly reputable source, there's no problem with 3rd party batteries. I run two Opteka batteries in my 50D all the time. I ran Opteka batteries in my XTi without incident (as well as other manufacturers' batteries). The only reason to buy the overpriced Canon batteries is that if there was a problem, then Canon couldn't point the finger at the 3rd party batteries. It's a risk I'm willing to take.

I'vebeen using both 3rd party (Flashpoint I think)and genuine Canon batteries for ages now and I've haven't had any issues either way. As Sean said, as long as their designed for your particular camera there's no reason why you would have issues.

At the end of the day Canon would recommend the sole use of their genuine batteries for a couple of major reasons.

1. So they can charge customers an extortionate price for a battery (accessories surely make up alarge part of their cashflow) and;

2. To cover their own backsides in the case of a warranty/ service claim.

Obviously this is just my opinion but my experience with 3rd party batteries has been just fine.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

With my long-gone Minolta 7D, I tried some aftermarket batteries. Battery graph would go from full to dead in the blink of an eye. Having the camera turn into dead weight is a royal PITA, so I buy genuine batteries. I've also heard of people having camera problems when using an off-brand vertical grip - there's another example of off-brand being a bad choice.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.