Thread: Photoshop CS4 vs Star Trails

Photoshop CS4 vs Star Trails

Hi Guys,

I recently revisited a star trails image that I took a while back. Originally I processed the shot(s) using CS4 and wasn't really happy with the results. So I got my hands on the Startrails app and had a go with it - wow what a difference! The results from Startrails were well and truly superior to using the autoblend layers feature in CS4 so I thought I should share it with you to illustrate the results.

Bear in mind that when I originally procecced the image in CS4 I'd only had the software for a few days and didn't know the ins and outs (mind you I still don't). So there's possibly some editing issues there.

40D, f/3.5, 11mm, 426 x 10sec exposures and one extra with some light painting to capture the foreground.

This one using CS4

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.34/3776952633_5F00_284e5f3ca0_5F00_b.jpg[/img]

And using Startrails App

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.34/Boulia-Star-Trails-New.jpg[/img]

The only issue was that I couldn't change the language from German to English!!! So there was a bit of google translator going on witha bit of trial and error.

Anyone else with some interesting star trails / night landscapes? I'd love to see them.

Cheers, Ben.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Re: Photoshop CS4 vs Star Trails

Wow! I remebering commenting on the first one (CS 4 edit) and being stunned. Haha amazing work! The Star Trails app reallly made a difference! That's incredible!

-Rodger

I don't suppose there's a version of this for the mac? []

Wow! Big difference!

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints
    I don't suppose there's a version of this for the mac? [img]/emoticons/emotion-6.gif[/img]

There is software available that will let you run Windows on a Mac.

I had the same language problem....so I wrote the guy, here is what he said:

<p class="MsoPlainText" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Consolas; font-size: small;"]Hi xxxx,
    <p class="MsoPlainText" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Consolas; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoPlainText" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Consolas; font-size: small;"]you have to unzip it with subfolders.
    <p class="MsoPlainText" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Consolas; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoPlainText" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Consolas; font-size: small;"]Clear skies,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Achim

Ive used that program before, awesome piece of kit!
    It was a long time ago, but this is one I did from my back garden, it was more a test that actually working on a good photo :P