Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17-85IS lens creep?

17-85IS lens creep?

For those of you that own this lens; have you experienced creep w/it? If so; have you sent it in for a repair and what was the cost?

My 17-85IS creep has become serious and I have to be conscious of the angle I hold it at, so it doesn't slap to full extension.

Thanks in advance for your input....

Bill

Re: 17-85IS lens creep?

I once owned the lens and it creeps from day one, and I also see other copy of 17-85 lenses creep. So I guess it's a rather common phenomenon.

I doubt if there's anything you can do about it rather than just hold it tight when shooting with big angles. My 24-70L after quite some time of use creeps just slightly when zoomed out to 24mm and sit upright.But if it creeps really badly, you may want to drop by Canon service centre and you should be eligible for a free repair especially when the lens is still covered by warantee.

Bottom line is that lens creeping will not affect the image quality, as you may already know.

My 17-85 is only 5 weeks old so I don't know if that helps or not, but it doesn't creep at all.

I've had my 17-85 for a few years and never had any creep at all.

Hmm... May be that's because I added a thick Tiffen class filter onto the lens as well as a lens hood and that added some weight and the lens barrel wonldn't hold the weight anymore?... But certainly I have seen enough 17-85 lenses creep.

Interesting. Mine has a B&W UV filter and Hood and still doesn't creep at all.

Mine has a B+W UV filter as well - I doubt that a hood will cause it to creep... actually, if you can cause my lens to creep by putting a hood on it, I'm giving you my 50D + 17-85 as a prize! []

It seems to me that creep is only a problem if it spoils a shot. Get in the habit of holding your camera with your left hand on the lens, not the camera body. Wrap your leftthumb anda finger around the zoom ring and keep it there--always, even when you're just walking around. If you do that while taking candid or action photography, you'll always be ready to swing that viewfinder up and snap away--at any angle. It's natural, comfortable, and creep iscontrolled.

<div>

Well said, Joback!

And I agree: Lens creep should not be considered a significant nuissance, as long as it doesn't stop you from producing the images you need. Gravity is there, and will always be there.

Like Joback said, it would be a good (great) idea to getting in the habit of putting your hand around the lens, gripped from the bottom. That way when the moment comes to shoot, you can just swing up, compose, and shoot.

So, my take: Follow Joback's advice.
    </div>

Joback;

From my perspective concerning the creep; your suggestion isn't an acceptable solution to me.

My reasoning is as follows; first, there will be situations (short term memory loss[] ) where I will remove my left hand and the lens will slap to full extension. Then spotting a quick shooting opportunity, raising the camera causing me to re-zoom, re-focus and missing the op.

Secondly, your suggestion of removing your right hand and holding only the zoom ring w/your left hand, even while walking around doesn't sound feasible to me. From my perspective even the body movement necessary for walking would have an affect upon my left hand which will cause movement of the zoom ring (mine is easily moved).

Finally, from a mechanical stand point, the lens isn't made this way, so it has become a mechanical deficiency. I am not one to accept nor create a particular habit to compensate for mechanical deficiencies in my equipment, whether it affects the shot or not. Which (w/my short term memory loss and the continual slapping to full extension) eventually (assumption) will affect the shot results by disrupting the internal mechanisms.

Now before you decide to answer (maybe?) concerning your suggestion and my reply. Allow me to present a theoretical situation to you (and Alex); Derek Reese (same lens set up plus no creep) and I both decide to sell our lenses at the same time. Both of us, being highly ethical people and wanting to keep our good standing status on this forum, give full disclosure concerning our lenses.

Our descriptions of the lenses are the same, asking price is the same, but the difference between the 2 lenses is the creep....which would be your preference in purchasing?

I'm not asking if the creep would stop you from purchasing my lens, but simply which lens would you (or Alex) prefer to purchase? I know I'd go w/the non-creeper.

Looks like for those you w/creepers, it hasn't progressed to the point of wanting to fix the lens. I guess I'll call Canon and get an answer and I'll get back to you w/my results.

Thank you for everybody's input....

Bill