Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charging eneloop batteries

Charging eneloop batteries

I use eneloop batteries and so far have been thrilled with their performance. However, afew weeks ago my flash died and when I threw my backup I set of eneloops in they were dead too. This created a big problem for me! Since eneloops are known for their stellar shelf-life and the fact that I shoot with flash so frequently it was probably my fault. I must have forgotten to charge my backup set. Here's my question:

Can charging eneloop batteries before they are fully discharged cause memory? Ever since that happened I would love to charge all of my backup sets of batteries but I have no idea how close to being discharged they are and I do not want them to develop memory. Your advice is extremely appreciated!

Point of reference, I use the OEM eneloop charger. Peety3, I know I should buy the La Crosse BC-700 charger. It's on my list :-)

Re: Charging enepoop batteries

I don't know anything about eneloop batteries. But enepoop batteries are notoriously crappy.
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8

I have some batteries that loose power (at a rate of about 1.5% a day) and some that work like the eneloops. While it's not the best practice, I charge nearly every battery that isn't an eneloop-like battery before every shoot (no matter how long its been since my last rodeo). I charge the eneloop-like batteries occasionally, but mostly I keep them for backup. I've never run out of battery power during a shoot--NEVER.

I know my routine may lead to a shorter life of the battery in the long run; however, I consider the cost of missing shots (or having to reschedule a shoot) to be much greater than the cost of another set of batteries.

Just charge your batteries before you shoot. Once they start losing the ability to charge, buy another couple of sets. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by alex

I don't know anything about eneloop batteries. But enepoop batteries are notoriously crappy.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Oops!!! Hilarious, I'll fix :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    I've never run out of battery power during a shoot--NEVER.

Luckily my "shoot" was my Niece's 1st birthday party and not a paid gig!I was able to just crank up the ISO and continue shooting. I actually had more "backups" in my truck but I was too lazy to go grab them [:$]

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    Just charge your batteries before you shoot. Once they start losing the ability to charge, buy another couple of sets. :-)

Unless someone with more experience tells me that's the worst thing to do in the world I think I'll follow your advice. I just hope that Costco continues to stock eneloops!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson
    I just hope that Costco continues to stock eneloops!

If they suddenly stop selling them, you can usually find the Duracell pre-charged batteries (like eneloops) at Wal-mart. The last few times I've gotten batteries, I've gotten them. They're not half bad.

I forgot where I read it at, but as I understand the problem of the old Nicad batteries developing a memory has been overcome with modern batteries-----does anyone know if this is the case with rechargable NiMh batteries?
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

I forgot where I read it at, but as I understand the problem of the old Nicad batteries developing a memory has been overcome with modern batteries-----does anyone know if this is the case with rechargable NiMh batteries?

Yes, that is basically true. However, after prolonged use, the batteries' capacity naturally degrades over time. There are some things you can do to aid in a battery's longevity, but in the end you have to decide whether it's worth the extra time and effort.

Thanks Sean
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

I believe that's mostly correct - modern rechargeable batteries have overcome many of those issues It's still recommended that NiMh batteries be conditioned regularly in order to keep them at optimum performance. A charger with a conditioning cycle fully discharges the batteries before recharging them, but not all charges do conditioning.