Thread: Beach scene - what would you do differently?

Beach scene - what would you do differently?

It was a foggy morning at our favorite spot in Florida, a small island in the nature coast area. As I was walking around looking for scenes to shoot I spotted this dingy from a small yacht anchored off shore. I had a 40D with the EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens mounted. There was a sidewalk with a handrail behind me, so I wasn't able to back up any further.

Settings for this shot: AV mode, 24mm, ISO 100, 1/100 @ F10, auto WB.

I'm fairly happy with the shot, but welcome suggestions of what you might have done differently (in camera or post). I have a EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens, but didn't have it with me at the time. Would a wider angle improve the shot?

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.91/Cedar_2D00_Key_2D00_beach.jpg[/img]

Re: Beach scene - what would you do differently?

I like this shot quite a bit and the only thing, I feel at least, is that the buildings in the back detract from the sort of 'deserted tropic paradise' vibe I get from it. Not sure if thats what you're looking for or not but to bring that out a little more I would try possibly a larger aperature maybe f/5.6? (i've never been clear on which terminalogy to use for changing aperatures so sorry if thats wrong). The larger aperature is so you can get just the tree, the boat and buoys in focus and possibly blur out the buldings enough to get them to dissapear.... or just use Photo shop, fog is pretty easy to clone. I think I'd try shooting on a bit less of an angle. but thats just a personal taste thing, it just feels likey you are fairly high up with the shot orientation to me. Aside from that I wouldn't really change a thing. and neither of those are really super important, I think it comes down to taste.

very nice shot though, well done
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Actually, I like the barely visible buildings in the background. The picture tells a story about the weather and the surroundings. I agree about the angle of the shot. I think the shot would be more pleasing if you were lower when you took the photo. Otherwise, I like the composition and the tones in the photo.

I completely agree with both of you that a lower anglewould be better. I have several shots that I took at a lower angle, but then I lost most of the blue seats. Isettled onthis angle because I wanted to keep more of the seats as a component of the image.

Thanks for your suggestions...

Here's one at a lower angle. (Notadjustedas much the first one) What do you think?

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.91/_5F00_MG_5F00_3235.jpg[/img]

I prefer this second posting, I think the exposure is better as well.

I agree, the second is much better
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Out of curiosity, why do you like the exposure of the second one better?

Perhaps Exposure Lock off of the sand to overexpose the fog, losing the buildings in the haze?

I like the first one because, you can see more of the blue on the boat. Brings a touch of color. Nice pic.