Thread: Strange DPP Behavior - help please?

Strange DPP Behavior - help please?

Wondering if anyone's come across this before -

DPP - most recent version 3.7.1 and the previous 3.6.1

On the NR/Lens/ALO tab, the Tune section suddenly won't stay loaded. I click "Tune" and it starts up, loads the image and then - it vanishes. The whole process takes about 5 seconds.

I tried rolling back to the previous version. I can't remember the last time I used "Tune" but I've never had a problem with it before. Could be 6 months since I've used it though...

Anyway - if anyone has a thought on what's going on here, I'd really appreciate if you would share it with me.

Thanks a lot!

Re: Strange DPP Behavior - help please?

I had the same problem a year ago. I had to uninstall the program, clean the registry for any related keys, and reinstall everything. Then it worked. Have no idea what caused the problem.

Wow really? the same behavior? Thanks Johnny I appreciate your help.

What did you do, just search the registry for dpp.exe and then delete the entries? I don't mind poking around in the registry but I have a ton of Canon stuff on this computer - almost everything that was on the installation disk.

Do you remember approx how many keys you deleted? I have a feeling there's going to be tons of them - if I'm including all the CLSID in the Root Key...

Thanks again - and of course anything more you can remember will surely be helpful.

Yes, the excact same behavior. Strange? I tried everything but the only thing that worked was a clean reinstall. And yes, I know it is a lot of work...

This is what I did: Uninstalled all Canon software. Restarted. Cleaned the registry. Restarted. Rechecked the registry to make sure all Canon entries was gone. Reinstalled everything. Voila!

Click "Start", type "regedit", hit "enter" and you get access to the register.

Open "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" , "SOFTWARE" , and look for Canon entries. If there are any "leftovers" after you have uninstalled the software just delete it.

PS! Editing the registry can be dangerous. I always advice a backup first. Just in case... [:'(]

Hope that fixes the problem!

- Johnny

Thanks Johnny.

I'm not averse to tinkering around in the registry. Like you said, export a copy of the key first, then make your changes. As long as you're deleting 3rd-party software you probably won't hurt anything.

So you deleted all the Canon entries eh? Yikes, that's quite a bit of software on my system. Maybe it's a good time to pare it down, decide what I use, what I never use...

Thanks again for your help J - it's much appreciated.

Yes, I deleted all the Canon entries after I had uninstalled all Canon software. If you are lucky the latest software version leaves nothing behind. You can always hope...

Agree, when you start looking in the Canon folders it is quite a bit of software that fills up the disk. I still like to have DPP and ZoomBrowers. I use Raw Image Task within ZoomBrowser for quick and easy JPG conversion. I think is has an excellent JPG engine.