Thread: 50D AF point display and Auto Power Off settings

50D AF point display and Auto Power Off settings

I've just read a blog post by Arthur Morris: Canon EOS-50D Set-up

Now I have 2 questions:

First of all, he sets Auto Power Off to 30 min., he said: "...while missing dozens of great images as they wait that fraction of a second for the camera to wake up", but after playing around with my camera I really couldn't tell the difference between start shooting when the camera was still on and start shooting after the camera "went to sleep" - in both cases the camera was ready to shoot instantly.

Update: Don't read below as Daniel has already helped with this one.

The second question is regarding the AF point display setting - it's strange, what does this setting do?

I have it set to disable since day 1, but when I set it to enable everything remains the same, nothing changes. From its name I'd guess that it turns the red focus squares in the viewfinder on or off, but as I said I have this setting set to disabled since day one and I do see the red focus square blinking for a moment where the focus point is. So I thought - "ok maybe when this setting is set to enable then instead of blinking, the red dot remains turned on until you take the shot", but that doesn't happen when AF point display is set to enable either.

So either this setting does something that I didn't notice or my camera is not working properly. Any help?

Re: 50D AF point display and Auto Power Off settings

Quote Originally Posted by Oren
    The second question is regarding the AF point display setting - it's strange, what does this setting do?

When you review an image on the LCD, it shows the red square.

Haha... now I feel stupid (I knew this would end like this) [:$]

I agree with You. By the time you bring the camera to your eye, it's ready, I have missed many shots, but none were due to the camaera having a slow fire up time. I keep my 50d set to 2 minutes which saves battery and still fires up quickly.
    Bob