Hey everyone...

I'm going to break out of my usual habit of talking only about cameras here and start a discussion to find a new computer/workstation solution. [] I'm considering a pretty serious PC upgrade and have my priorites pretty much straightened out. I need guidance in making hardware and software choises for my new system (see below).

Before I cut to the chase, here is some background information that you may find useful.

I've been working with my LG laptop (2.10GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce G 105M Graphics) for the last year or so. It's been a great tool and has until recently met my performance needs for the media-related work I do on an almost daily basis. It handled my 40D's (when I owned it) 10MP files nicely, and I kept up with the wait as I rendered HDR or Panoramic images in Photoshop.

However:
[]

Recently I have been finding myself more and more frustrated with the current setup. Why?
  • I bought a 5D Mark II - The 21MP Jpeg's and especially RAW files wreck havock on my PC. Editing them in Photoshop and importing them (via a USB card reader) is a painfully slow process, considering their relatively massive size.
  • I can't really "touch" the Mark II's video files - I can play them back in Quicktime or iTunes after a few tries, but Premiere Pro is very performance taxing and editing the 1080p files (for playback on our HDTV or for school-related work) is pretty difficult. Not to mention the render times for MPEG-2 codec. YIKES!
  • I'm sending images over the Internet to clients (Yes, clients![]) via my site and e-mail, and frequently to my local colour lab. The transfer times for the large files I handle is pretty slow. I know this doesn't really depend on my computer hardware (it's more of an Internet connection issue - Which I plan on tackling by using a hardwired connection to my router and home network), but I figured I mention it anyway.

In short, I want more performance. I want to be able to work with my images (and other media) efficiently at my PC.

Here's the part that I need help with: What components will be necesary to keep up with my photo editing work (and occasional video editing)?
  • What processor should I look in to? I was looking at the Intel Quad Core i7 processor. What speed? How is AMD in comparison?
  • How much RAM should I get? I was looking at 8GB RAM (I heard using 3-channel RAM (instead of 2-channel) in Windows 7 64-bit is better - Is this true?)
  • 1TB hard drive (What speed? Any specific details to look out for?). I already use several external drives, so its capacity doesn't need to be overly large.
  • What kind of graphics card would I need? I want support for one (or possibly two) 1920x1080 monitors. I'm currently looking at 20-24" models from LG.
  • Is FireWire that much better than USB? I.e. does it transfer data at speeds significantly faster than a typical USB connection? How do "built-in" (by the OEM) CF card readers compare to USB and FireWire card readers with respect to their transfer speeds?
  • How should I go about acquiring my setup? I can (a) Purchase a ready-to-go system from a manufacturer or store, (b) Purchase a "barebones" system like this one and add components to it myself, or (c) Start from scratch and purchase all of the components and assemble the computer myself.

• And finally, how does this setup look? Will it suit my needs? It looks like a good deal (I'm in Canada).

Sorry for all of these questions - I'm 17 and this is the first computer that I'm investing in myself. I'm still grateful for the laptop my parents got me last year, but, needs change... []

Even if you can answer one of my many questions, please chime in - I appreciate you help!

Alex