Thread: Measurement of hood diameter for the EF14?

Measurement of hood diameter for the EF14?

Deleting old posts
    Last edited by jrw; 03-27-2014 at 12:54 PM.

The EF 14 f2.8 L II is not suitable for use with a front filter. Instead, the lens includes a gelatin filter holder behind the rear element, as illustrated in the user guide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Filter.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	2076

To answer your question, the diameter of the lens hood is 80mm, but you would need a filter width of more than 100mm to cover the field of view to the left and right, where the hood has been cut out to avoid vignetting.

The built-in hood is an extension of the metallic lens barrel. It would be extremely difficult to shorten it without damaging the front element. Such action would certainly invalidate the warranty, and increase the risk of unwanted flare when not using your filters. It would also prevent you from using the special lens cap, which grips the inside of the front edge of the hood.

You might look into the WonderPana system from Fotodiox if you're serious about putting a CPL filter on the Canon 14mm f/2.8 L II.

http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/won...pl-filter.html

It's not necessarily cheap, but it's a unique system that allows you the freedom to use CPL/ND/Grad-ND filters with various wide-angle lenses.

Note: Just read some reviews on Amazon. Looks like the WonderPana system still shows some hard vignetting at 14mm. Also, CPL results just aren't good at that focal length (according to some reviewers).

Based on my experience with this lens (we've owned one since August, and although it sleeps in my wife's bag, it often hitches a ride in my bag if she isn't shooting, while my 16-35 waits for someone to appreciate it), you'd probably need a 6"x6" filter rig to cover the deep corners of this lens, and therefore I think your hopes are simply to be dashed. Stick with a 16-35 and the reality of 82mm filters. Someone provided some links to 95mm CPLs for the Zeiss 15, and they were $450 and $700 each.

Everything I have read since its release I would lean toward the Zeiss 15mm.
    As much DOF as these lenses have no AF would not be much of an issue at all.