Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon Angle Finder C

Canon Angle Finder C

Hi All -

Does anyone here use the Canon Angle Finder C? I am thinking of getting one but some reviews have stated that it doesn't fit securely so I am somewhat hesitant to purchase it. Although, it sure looks like it would be a very handy gadget to have and Bryan's review for it was pretty favorable.

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks!

Denise

Re: Canon Angle Finder C

It must be Christmas time. I keep seeing posts of new gadgets I might need. I didn

Denise,

I own one, but haven't been able to locate it since last summer.

The reviews accurately reflect my experience of using it. It was a little bit loose on the viewfinder of my 5D II, but not so loose that it might fall off unlessI knocked it. I wouldn't let that put you off if you think you'll get enough use out of it.

Since I misplaced mine, I've been able to get by with Live View in those situations where I would have reached for the Angle Finder.
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-11-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Andy - Thank you for your reply. I suppose I could get by without one but I saw a used one on Adorama rated E+, so that is what re-sparked my interest. I thought about it on and off throughout the day, remember how many times it could have come in handy this past summer. Then I read your reply and ended up purchasing it alittle while ago. It's my first time buying a used item off one of the sites, so we'll see how it works out for me.Helen @ Adorama claims it goes thru more inspection than buying new, so we'll see!

Rick - Don't you know by now ...the "might need this" list never ends! I'll let you know what I think of it when I've had a chance to use it awhile!

Thanks,

Denise

Speaking of camera gear, Denise, I got the Genus 77mm ND Fader filter a while ago but have only had one opportunity to use it. I want to use it a couple more times before I form a well-deserved opinion of it. ;-)

Denise,

There might be some benefits to it... but if you have the "live view" option on your camera it might be a little unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Speaking of camera gear, Denise, I got the Genus 77mm ND Fader filter a while ago but have only had one opportunity to use it. I want to use it a couple more times before I form a well-deserved opinion of it. ;-)
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I got one too!! I bought it to go with the 135L I know longer have! [] I only used it a couple times before I sent the lens back but still have my 35mm I can use it on when I get a chance until I get another copy of the 135L.

I thought it worked well when I used it outside after our huge snowstorm. Although, I could use advice with using it at it's strongest setting!! I never used an ND that strong before! I assume the only way is to get sharp focus and then put it on!? The convenience and money savings of not having to buy and use different filters with different strengths is nice not being able to use a lens cap with it is a negative point of it.

Looking forward to your review!

Denise

Hi Denise,

Enjoy your new accessory!

I have gotten a fair bit of use out of mine. I agree with Andy that Live View can be a fair substitute. The Angle Finder C provides two advantages - VF magnification and a 90&deg; angle. The former is rendered less useful by Live View - the angle finder allows 2.5x magnification, which aids in manual focus for macro shooting, but Live View allows 10x focusing.

But, the 90&deg; angle is convenient - in situations where I would have substituted Live View, that would have meant lying on my belly, in the mud in some cases. Here is a small sampling of images shot using my Angle Finder C, in all cases the perspective I was going for was from close to the ground.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_brain/4843787549/in/set-72157624491646603/lightbox/][/url]
    EOS 7D, EF 100mm f/2.8<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L Macro IS USM, 1/30 s, f/8, ISO 100

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_brain/5010326982/in/set-72157624617261134/lightbox/][/url]
    EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM @ 10mm, 0.6 s, f/14, ISO 100

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_brain/4814516955/in/set-72157624491646603/lightbox/][/url]
    EOS 7D, EF 100mm f/2.8<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L Macro IS USM, 1/160 s, f/11, ISO 640

Thanks for posting the photos, John! As both you, Andy and Todd point out, I guess it is not a major necessity to have with having Live View at our disposal but I like the advantage of the angle view where I won

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    The convenience and money savings of not having to buy and use different filters with different strengths is nice not being able to use a lens cap with it is a negative point of it.

You can use a lens cap with the filter, however, it doesn't come supplied in the box. You simply have to buy an 86mm lens cap separately.