Thread: Shoot with Senka

Shoot with Senka

Senka is the sister of a good friend of mine (a friend who I've also shot in the past). Currently, she lives in Switzerland. However, she was visiting her family stateside and asked that I take some portraits of her to gift to her boyfriend and family (I'll let you decide which photos were for whom). She said she wanted to capture a feeling of the South in her images...

My first option--there was a beautifully run down house near where I used to live. Unfortunately, I couldn't get permission to shoot there. Then I tried to get permission to shoot at another location, but that fell through. So, I went driving...

While driving around I found a wonderfully junk-filled property. I stopped, explained to the owner what I was doing, and asked for permission to use his property. I was lucky--this man was friendly, kind, and generous with his property (as well as his time). He not only agreed to loan out his property, he told us to use whatever we needed (including electricity to power my studio strobes). And, on top of that, he even held a reflector (to block on the sun) during one part of the shoot. I cannot impress upon you how awesome this guy was. After it was all said and done, my favorites didn't really emphasize the interesting location--but that's alright.

Ok, on to the shoot. Senka brought two changes of clothes. We used all sorts of lights at one time or another, including a 580EX, a Vivitar 285HV, a White Lightning Ultrazap 1600, and a White Lightning x2400 (as a mainlight throughout the evening). We also used a reflector (to block out sunlight) as well as occasionally a CTO gel (for rim light). As much work as it was, it was equally that much fun. My favorites from the shoot are below. Strobist info for these shots can be found by clicking through to the source on Flickr.

Re: Shoot with Senka

Nice set Sean and the best locations are often the places where you least expect it. At least I have that problem [:P]

First shot: those eyes!![A]

I like the angle and lighting of the second shot a lot, although I believe the framing is quite tight..,

Third shot...awesome! What else do I need to say? I bet she loved this one!

Fourth shot...mmm...not my favorite. But I'm also really picky with strobism, because it's not my personal favorite style of shooting. I also think the powerline is still somewhat distracting.

Fifth shot: great shot! Looks lovely and somehow the powerline has disappeared here [:O]

Anyway great set!

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    She said she wanted to capture a feeling of the South in her images...

Feeling of the South means? Valleys or something?

Oh ps: I only see now that it's a show and tell. If my comments aren't welcome, just give me a sign and I'll move them!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

Feeling of the South means? Valleys or something?

Oh ps: I only see now that it's a show and tell. If my comments aren't welcome, just give me a sign and I'll move them!

Sheiky--your comments are always welcome. I appreciate the feedback. As far as an American "Southern" look, that can mean many things. I could have shot a location with a barn, a farm, a plantation house, a once-beautiful house in disrepair (with junk everywhere), a mobile home, or a place where it looks like a pack rat lives. In the South, it's simply a different way of life....as slow as the language its inhabitants speak.

Sheiky--your comments are always welcome. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks Sean, good to hear. Always looking forward for more photos! []

Thanks for explaining the Southern feeling for me. I get the idea now and I think you did pretty good especially on the last 2[Y]

Senka is the brother of a good friend of mine

Sean, you've reached new levels in transformative photography. From your wonderful and very flattering photos (not to mention the text in the rest of your post), I would have thought Senka was female. Decidedly female. [:P]

Hahaha that probably explains the hesitation of people to reply []

Gotcha. Fixed the typo. ;-)

Great photos Sean, there all spot on! I would love to give you some contructive critique but there's absolutely nothing for me to point out, I even love the wild, messy, rugged backgrounds, it somehow balances nicley with the acurate and clear lightning of the model.

Also lots of possitive comments from my wife.

Cheers.