Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abe's of Maine

Abe's of Maine

Does anyone here have any experience dealing with Abe's of Maine other than buying and receiving?

Here's my latest experience ....

I sold my Canon 35L and my Canon 50mm 1.4 and was looking to buy a used Sigma 50mm and 30mm . With using two coupon codes on each lens,I was able to purchase both new from Abe's of Maine cheaper than anyone was posting their used prices at & I still had plenty of $ left over!

Well, both were available untilI hit the buy button, then the 30mm was all of a sudden unavailable yet they took my money. This was a week ago and I still haven't been able to find out when it will be available.

I did receive the 50mm and was quite pleased with it when I could get a good shot. It randomly front focused badly, so I called Abe's for them to email me what I needed to exchange it. I sat on hold for over 15 mins. and finally did get the instructions and RMA # emailed to me. I had to call them back, sit on hold for another 15 mins. or so to request that they email me a UPS label to ship it back. They did and I shipped it within the hour. This was on Monday. Now it is Saturday and when I track the UPS # it says that they tried to deliver it twice and both times, Abe's of Maine requested UPS to hold the shipment and redeliver on a different date. It doesn't show me what date that is that they requested but they put it on hold two days ago! I emailed Kobe at Abe's to find out why but have not heard back as of yet.

So for now I don't have either lens and don't know when I will but they have had my money for both for well over a week now.

Has anyone else had experience with Abe's of Maine? Are they usually pretty good and I just need to be more patient?

Denise

Re: Abe's of Maine

I have bought a D5100 body, two lenses (18-55mm and 55-300mm), and two lens filters from them and my experience was quite good, except for a slightly similar situation to yours.

I received the body and one lens roughly 4-5 business days after purchasing. They then emailed me about the second lens saying it was on back-order. They gave me a day they would ship it, however they ended up shipping it two days after the date they stated.

Other than that, I have had a pleasant experience with them... They were very quick to respond to my emails, and when i made a mistake on ordering the wrong size lens filter, they fixed it the same day I emailed them about the issue.

Looks like par for the course for them:

www.resellerratings.com/.../Abe_s_of_Maine
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Wow! Looks like their are a number of people with the same experience I am having! Tough time getting the merchandise and a tough time getting your money back when you cancel the order!

Now I

You know Denise, it is better to ask these questions before you buy from a new vendor.

From the sound of it they are legitimate, but you are going to get crappy service. Out of all the things I have bought from B&H, three times I have done a return and all three times it was no hassle at all. It is easy to save a few dollars more, but it all goes out the window the first time you can't get service after the sell.

If you used a credit card, you might be able to contact the card company and have them reverse the charges if you don't receive your items back soon.

Ratings like that tend to be a little skewed, because people with positive experiences don

I have dealt with them before but since the product was ok when received I really didn

Denise,

How is your 50 working out and have you received your 30?

Mark
    Mark

Hi Mark -

I really haven

Quote Originally Posted by Mark

Denise,

How is your 50 working out and have you received your 30?

Mark
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

@ Mark - I think I will be keeping the 50mm, although I am at a +8 microadjustment. Last Friday night, Irequested a refund on the 30mm since it still has not been shipped.We'll see how long the process takes for the refund to hit my paypal account since I paid for the lens almost a month ago.