Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon 1D mark III

Canon 1D mark III

Hi

Im looking to upgarde in a better camera and Im wondering about the m.pixel counts on the mark III of 1D. Why does it have such a "low" pixel count? Maybe someone could explain for me why they choose to apply that number of m.pixels instead of a higher?

Thank you

Ragnar

Re: Canon 1D mark III

Hi Ragnar,

I would guess that they were looking to make the camera for action shooting such as sports and wildlife so they were concerned about frame rates (ie file sizes) and also concerned about high iso performance (ie bigger pixels). These features were probably prioritized over mega-pixel count because they went the other way with the 1DsMKIII.

Just guessing, but don

I

The 1DMKIII came out in 2007. Between 2007 technology and the need for high frame rate that is probably the best fit for pixel size. As for print size, I have printed 16x20s from an 8mp rebal with great results. I know some of the best bird shots I have seen here on the forum are from the 1DMKIII. I would not hesitate to buy a 1DMKIII if I needed the frame rate and focus system.

Mark
    Mark

Cheers! I guess I woudlnt blame myself for buying this camera then if I want a good allround camera?

It

Then its a sealed deal for me! 1D here I come!

Denise,

The sensor is 3888 pixels wide, if you print at 240 pixels/inch the full frame shots will be just over 16 inches wide with no enlargement. With good technique and a properly sharpened image I feel confident you could easily double that and still get excellent results. Beyond that,,,,,Genuine Fractals by OnOne Software can supposedly enlarge up to 1000% without significant IQ loss

Joel

Before you jump on a 1D III make sure 10 MP is up to your standards for the largest print you will do fairly often, such as 13x19 or so. I tried and thought it would do better than it did, it was good but wasn't what I had hoped for. Also even if it is up to your standards you have to account for a little cropping head room for compostion and such. If thats all right with you than it's a great camera!

John.

I have several 16 X 20 prints of my bird images that came from cropped images on both my 40D and my 1DMKIII (they both have 10.1 mp) .... these prints were done by Mpix and they look great. The original images after cropping were obviously less than 10 mp but with proper processing they printed great at 16 X 20. Learning the correct amount of sharpening and getting the color balance right are the two biggest keys I think. I have not printed anything larger but looking at these I feel confident that I could.