Thread: ERR 99 on 1Ds MKIII

ERR 99 on 1Ds MKIII

On a job suddenly ERR 99 appears what forum members did?[:'(]

my serial no:600000++

Thanks any suggestion will help.

Re: ERR 99 on 1Ds MKIII

It can be anything, search on a google how to fix if still not working send it in for repair

Is this the first time you've gotten that error? If so, you're incredibly lucky.

Have you loaded the new firmware? It adds lots of new error codes, so if something's going on inside the camera, you may get a different error code that'll at least highlight what part of the camera is acting up, and possibly lead you towards a fix.

Have you been formatting your CF/SD cards in-camera? Sometimes a bad card causes it. Have you reset your date/time battery? That seems to be helping my 1D3, at least recently.

Also, check Lens Rentals' Err99 page: http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.12.31/canon-err99

Canon did recently announce some possible issues with these bodies that may require sending it in. I'd check those bulletins too.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

<p style="padding-left: 30px;"]Some website recommeded as you stated.
    <p style="padding-left: 30px;"]1.Remove date /time battery
    <p style="padding-left: 30px;"]2.Yesterday i disablethe auto sensor cleaning which thisoperation involved mirror lock up (DONE)
    <p style="padding-left: 30px;"]3.Update firmware (DONE)
    <p style="padding-left: 30px;"]4.Format CF/SD (DONE) at the moment i'm using sanDISK III 16 gig.
    <p style="padding-left: 30px;"]
    <p style="padding-left: 30px;"]Today i will shoot some more see how it goes before i send to Cnaon Singapore.
    <p style="padding-left: 30px;"]Thank for your contribution.

Update on ERR 99.

Sent it to Canon service center, they quoted me SGD$400.00(est) to fix.Sent it and it came out FOC... When we asked they emailed ...."There is no charges on the service provided. For EOS 1Ds III, we have done electricial adjustment for items and set them to manufacturing specification." [:O]

I have done nothing except Update the firmware....

Can anybody in this forum explain to me ....

Here's your explanation: the camera says "Canon" on the front and back. (in other words, welcome to the world of Canon)

Canon is very secretive about a lot of things inside their cameras. Yours needed an adjustment, one that they felt should be included as a part of the ownership of the camera. Read the paperwork that comes back with the camera, and see what it says. If it doesn't say anything informative, I doubt you'll ever know what was done in detail.

If you were still getting Error 99 after loading the most recent firmware (I don't know what revision it would be for 1Ds...I have a 1D), you were experiencing an error that they won't tell you much about. Mine's going to have to go in soon for the mirror problem they announced - it keeps throwing Error 99 (usually first shot of the day; I have to turn the camera on and take a picture FAST or I get stuck in errors), and the other day when I went to do a manual sensor cleaning, the mirror never went up.

We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

<div class="ForumPostButtons"]
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; line-height: normal; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;" class="MsoNormal"]<v:shapetype coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" oreferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f" id="_x0000_t75"]<v:stroke joinstyle="miter"]</v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"]</v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"]</v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"]</v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"]</v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"]</v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"]</v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"]</v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"]</v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"]</v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"]</v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"]</v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"]</v:f></v:formulas><vath o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"]</vath><o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"]</o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape o:spid="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="http://community.the-digital-picture.com/Themes/hawaii/images/icon_post_show.gif" href="http://community.the-digital-picture.com/forums/p/823/5510.aspx#5510" o:button="t" style="visibility: visible; width: 7.5pt; height: 8.25pt; mso-wrap-style: square;" id="Picture_x0020_1"]<v:imagedata o:title="icon_post_show" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01 \clip_image001.gif"]</v:imagedata></v:shape><span style="font-size: 6pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-size: 11.0pt;"]SupraSonic<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; line-height: normal; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]I had the same problem with my 1Ds3. Worked fine for 9 months then the 99 error code appeared multi times on one day. Weather was hot and the elevation was about 10,000 feet. Next day it worked fine.Went toCanon service center and they made adjustments to the mirror. The day after I received the camera back the first shot was error 99, after that worked fine for 6 months. <span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; line-height: normal; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]Thursday, March 05, 2009 Bryan's canon news - see below:<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; line-height: normal; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 6pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]
    <span style="font-size: 8pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]Canon USA has now issued the 1D/1Ds Mark III Service Notices:

Dear &lt;Customer&gt;,

Thank you for using Canon products.

Please be advised of two important Service Notices and a firmware update for the EOS 1D Mark III and EOS 1Ds Mark III digital SLR cameras.

1. We have learned that some EOS 1D Mark III and EOS 1Ds Mark III digital SLR cameras have a problem in the accuracy of the AF (auto-focusing). If an AF point other than the center AF point is used, focus may become soft. For more details, please click here.

Free AF accuracy checks and adjustments will be provided for affected products.

2. We have discovered that abnormal mirror operation occurs in some EOS 1D Mark III and EOS 1Ds Mark III digital SLR cameras where the mirror does not operate even if the shutter button is pressed and the following message appears frequently on the camera's LCD monitor, see below. For more details, please click here.

"Err 99 Shooting is not possible. Turn the power switch to &lt;OFF&gt; and &lt;ON&gt; again or re-install the battery."

Free repairs will be provided for affected products.<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; line-height: normal; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]So I had thecamera service and so far everything is working OK, but this error is not consistent, so only time will tell.<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; line-height: normal; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]Bob<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]<o></o>
    </div>

Thankz for youre contribution,,,

on the 15th April i'll be fying to Spore to collect from canon center it is FOC though definitely i will take shots right after...hopefully works well.