Thread: T1i HELP!

T1i HELP!

Hi, so I'm new to the hobby. I understand that the T1i series will only work with the ef-s model type lenses because of the "sensor" distance between the lens and body. (which I by the way have no idea what that means) I want to know everything I can about my camera (settings, accessories etc) I'm willing to learn!

Now to the point. I wanted to know what type of non-Canon lenses are compatible with T1i. Thanks so much. =)

Re: T1i HELP!

Welcome to the TDP Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by bhong07
    I understand that the T1i series will only work with the ef-s model type lenses

You understand incorrectly (inversely, in a way). The T1i will work with all EF lenses - that includes both the EF-S lenses the EF lenses (EF lenses also work on full frame digital and film cameras, but EF-S lenses do not).

I wanted to know what type of non-Canon lenses are compatible with T1i.

Just about any lens from Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina that has a Canon mount will work with your T1i

I want to know everything I can about my camera (settings, accessories etc) I'm willing to learn!

You're in the right place if you have specific questions! For more general information, consider picking up a guide book, such as a Magic Lantern guide or David Busch's book.

No. The EF-S lenses only work with the the small sensor like the T1i has, APS-C I think. Your camera is compatible with both the EF and the EF-S lenses. The lenses with the the 'L' designation are the highest quality. For third party lenses there are some good ones. Look at Bryan's reviews. One that I have is the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD IF . Very good image quality for a good proce.

For your camera I suggest you start with Bryan's review. You will find you made an excellant choice in buying the T1i.

Mark
    Mark

awesome. thanks a whole lot.. im definitely glad i decided to post. again, thanks! i'll def take a look at the guides and hopefully be able to find some more information.

Bhongo07,

Welcome. I also have a T1i. It's a greta canera and I have fun with it. I started this hobby more seriously about 1 1/2 years ago. A friend recommended reading Scott Kelby's books. "Digital Photography" 1,2 & 3. He writes in a way that anyone can understand and enjoy. It made a significant difference and I understand more than I would ever guess. You may even be able to get them at the library to try one out. Although there is so much good stuff it's nice to reference them. His site is www.kelbytraining.com/books.

I personally have two EF lenses (24-70 f2.8 & 70-200 f/4) in addition to the kit lens. They aren't as wide on your camera as you would expect ,due to the APS-C sensor, but, you make up for it on the zoom end.

Enjoy your camera and be sure to try out the video capture.
    Brett

So generally speaking, ALL canon lenses fit my T1i? Is there a difference between film lens and digital lens?

So generally speaking, ALL canon lenses fit my T1i? Is there a difference between film lens and digital lens?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

All Canon EF lenses will fit. An FD (manual focus only) will not. There "digital only" lenses that are built for the smaller sensor of a digital camera and may have an additional element or coating. I've used 20 year old lenses on my digital cameras with no problems.