Thread: Foreign objects in lenses

Foreign objects in lenses

Hi all,

I recently sent my 10-22 to Canon as I noticed that it had picked up a small foreign object just under the front element. They repaired it promptly, but it did cost me $95.

Now, I recently noticed that my 17-40 has picked up a couple of very small particles (they seem close to the surface too) and my 70-200 f4 IS has also picked a quite large object too (it seems to be round the middle of the lens).

I don't really bash my lenses much and I have to say this is getting annoying. Is this normal? Do you also find that your lenses easily pick up foreign objects? And aren't those L lenses suppoesed to be weather sealed?

Tony

Re: Foreign objects in lenses

Hey Tony,

Have you ever seen the movie 'Alien'?

Well, one day before we were going on a shoot we were cleaning our equipment as per normal. I looked inside our 400 prime and guess what! I saw what looked like the face hugger from the movie, inside the lens! The little bugger some how got in from the back and died. It was a spider mite. I used a rocket blower to get him out but not before he broke up into pieces, legs broke apart and separated from body. PANIC!!!!

With a little more air I was able to clean out the lens. Disaster averted. Just goes to show 'L' glass can get contaminates in them from the most unlikely places. (The lens was not attached to a body but was in its case). Can you imagine the images we would have gotten with that in there........