Thread: Quick formula for estimating DOF?

Quick formula for estimating DOF?

I've had my 50D for awhile and have had some amazing results so far. I have a 50mm f/1.8 II which is awesome for the price, hope to get a 1.4 soon. I've been taking lots of portraits of my son and love the background blur. I've also had some shots ruined by not stopping down when I should have for group shots. Obviously with a fixed focal length and similar aperture the DOF is also affected by distance to subject.

Is there a quick metal formula for estimating DOF? Like, at 50mm and f/1.8 with the subject 48 inches from the camera DOF will equal x inches but at 20 feet from the camera DOF will equal y inches. Are there any other good tricks for knowing how wide open is too much?

Re: Quick formula for estimating DOF?

I don't think there's an easy way to be honest (unless you're a mathematician). I've got the DOF Master application on my iphone that gets pulled out occasionally but apart from that I don't know of another way.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

A lot of people used to carry around charts for primes, though since zooms are so popular now it is a little tougher to cover all the bases. I also have a DoF app on my phone, it works wonders and is always with me, taking care of all the calculations I would ever need.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Nolan
    Are there any other good tricks for knowing how wide open is too much?

Don't forget about the simple physical method that's already a feature of your camera - the DOF Preview button.

This is an area that I have been working on for some time.

I know the preview is acceptable but I want to plan my shots and have a working idea of DOF in the preshot process.

My suggestion is that since it IS A CALCULATION

Why can canon not build it into the menu screen and have it read out next to aperture, speed, iso, lens focal lenght.

It really is doable.

I also looked for a pocket chart that I could carry.

This is what I have found is the best solution:

There are several online depth of field calculators that you can use to make your own pocket charts for dof.

The site I use is:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

good luck