Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which accessory to get

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

which accessory to get

So I have some eBay bucks that I have to use. Its not really that much but, its enough to buy one of the accessories that I have been considering getting. So I figure since I can essentially get one for free, I should, but which one.

Here's the options that Ive found that fall at around the value of my eBay bucks and I can therefore get for no cost to me:

• Battery Grip (Ive been wanting one for a while because I hate doing vertical shots since I'm not nearly as steady holding it that way)
    • Better Beamer (help me get those wildlife shots Ive been missing due to low light)
    • Black Rapid Camera strap (I do a lot of hiking with my camera so anything making it easier to carry is good)
    • Cheap wireless flash trigger (I've been wanting to start doing some off camera flash work, but don't do it enough yet to justify spending a lot of money in this area)

I generally shoot wildlife and landscape style shots, but trying to get into other things too(hence the flash trigger). I need opinions since I don't know which one to get. I'm sure I will eventually get all of them, but for now, its just the one.

Thanks

Hi, of these options I would go for the grip. It's simply the most useful one in my opinion. My second choice would be the radio trigger, but for me it wouldn't be nearly as useful as a grip. (And I'm personally not interested in the other two.)

Regarding the grip, my opinion is that it makes shooting more comfortable regardless of orientation. The downside, obviously, is a bigger and heavier package to carry between shots.

Good luck with your decision!

Of those options, I'd go with the Blackrapid strap. Getting the weight of a camera+lens off your neck and onto your shoulder while maintaining the ability to quickly raise the camera into position for a shot - priceless.

+1 on the Blackrapid and John's comments. That is what I would pick up first.

+2 on the black rapid strap.

+3 Blackrapid.

+4 black rapid. You will never leave home without it.
    There is beauty in simplicity.

1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50/1.2L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 100-400L II | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT-24EX | lots of stuff

What's the budget? Grips are up over $100, I got my Better Beamer for only $30 or so from B+H. It's useful enough for fill-flash when shooting birds with bright sky behind, but don't expect wonders (I still haven't practised with it enough though).
    Haven't tried the black rapids, but that's next on my list too...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    wow sounds like the black rapid strap is the winner. I had been leaning towards the grip but this will make me reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    What's the budget? Grips are up over $100, I got my Better Beamer for only $30 or so from B+H. It's useful enough for fill-flash when shooting birds with bright sky behind, but don't expect wonders (I still haven't practised with it enough though).
    Haven't tried the black rapids, but that's next on my list too...
    Grips are usually a lot but I found some on ebay for much less, that's the only reason they are on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by nvitalephotography View Post
    I had been leaning towards the grip but this will make me reconsider.
    What camera are you buying a grip for? I might be selling one soon.

Dave.