Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended lenses for 60d with plans to migrate to FF

Recommended lenses for 60d with plans to migrate to FF

Hi,

I just recently got into photography (around 2 months ago) and I am slowly developing an interest in photo journalism and sports photography. I currently use a 60D with plans to migrate to FF camera in the future.

I would like to ask for your opinions one which lenses to get.

I currently have a canon 18 - 200 f/3.5 to 5.6 lens --- which is a good walkaround lens but is not good with indoors. I just recently purchased a canon 50mm f/1.4 lens.

I am planning to purchase next a canon 70 - 200 IS II USM with the thought of migrating to a FF camera in the future.

I am torn in getting either a canon 24 - 70 L f/2.8 or a 16 - 35 II L f/2.8.

I hope you can give me suggestions on a good set of zoom lenses and primes preferably fast lenses. Budget is not a factor. And, a good full frame camera for sports/photo journalism.

I hope you guys can help.

The 70-200mm IS II USM is a great lens, no matter what body you have.

I have owned both the 24-70mm and the 16-35mm II. IMO the 16-35mm II puts out better IQ and is a better lens. The 24-70mm is overdue for an upgrade where as the 16-35mm II is a newer release. There have been rumors of a 24-70mm II release but as with most rumors you do not know when and if they will take place. The only reason I would consider the 24-70mm is if you need that exact range. Otherwise +1 for the 16-35mm II.

There is no fast canon FF on the market right now for sports. Wait a few months till the 1D X is released since budget isn't a factor, it will be FF.

You could always go with the older version of the 70-200 and save $800 for another lens. Don't be afraid of "ef-s" type lenses. Even if you do go to a full frame, something like the 17-55mm will still hold value even if you don't keep the old camera for a backup. Tamron also makes a lens in the 24-70mm range that is f2.8. I believe it to still be a good lens.
    Nice to hear from you Jaregala and welcome
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaregala View Post
    I am torn in getting either a canon 24 - 70 L f/2.8 or a 16 - 35 II L f/2.8.

I hope you can give me suggestions on a good set of zoom lenses and primes preferably fast lenses. Budget is not a factor. And, a good full frame camera for sports/photo journalism.
    If budget is *really* not an issue, get both. But, I suspect you meant budget isn't a deciding factor in the choice between the 16-35 and the 24-70. Given that you have a crop body now, I'd pick the 16-35 II, although honestly, I'd pick the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS over both, and sell it if you go FF. I'm a firm believer in getting the lens you need for the camera(s) you have.

As Rick stated, there is no current FF camera suited for sports/journalism. The forthcoming 1D X meets that need.

As for recommending fast zooms and primes, that's either easy or impossible without knowing what you shoot. Zooms are easy - f/2.8 is the fastest, so get the 16-35, 24-70, and 70-200 IS II. Primes? I love the 35L, 85L, and 135L, but none are very good for outdoor field sports...

BTW...Welcome!

Thank you so much all for your replies.

Yes i am planning to get the 1dx in the future.

Here's the lens kits planned:

16 - 35 USM ii

50 1.4 (already owned)

70 - 200 f2.8 ii

Really excited to get these lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaregala View Post
    Thank you so much all for your replies.

Yes i am planning to get the 1dx in the future.

Here's the lens kits planned:

16 - 35 USM ii

50 1.4 (already owned)

70 - 200 f2.8 ii

Really excited to get these lenses.
    Sounds like an excelent kit to me. The 70x200mm I use all the time. I use primes for everything else.

Guys, how about the 17 - 40 f/4. What are your thoughts on this?

No point in the 17-40 if you have your eye on the 16-35mm.
    But if you have only been into photography for 2 months, the lens that would provide the biggest improvement, an improvement that you would see straight away is the Canon 17-55. ( as stated by Neuro) If you keep your 60D, you will always wish you had that lens. Most people that have a 1 series camera have a back up body as well and you cannot get better than that lens on a back up 60D.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

The IQ of the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 is superior to either the 16-40mm or 24-70mm L's. I know you said you ultimately plan to migrate to FF, but until you do 17-55mm is a much more practical focal range for a crop sensor body. You'll find that on a crop sensor body 24mm is just not wide enough (especially indoors) and that the 40mm is just not long enough (especially for head shots) for all-purpose shooting so you'll be changing lenses all the time, which isn't practical for photojournalist shooting.

BTW, full-frame is not necessarily the best for photojournalism or, especially, sports, which is why the 7D (1.6x crop) and the 1D Mark III (1.3x crop) are so popular with professional sports photographers. They are fast and their file sizes are smaller and easier to transmit to publishers.

Unless you are certain that you are going to go with a full-frame body in the short term future, I would get the best all purpose lens for the body that you currently own. These L lenses simply aren't designed for your current equipment. Don't handicap yourself.

Thank you so much guys for your inputs. I really appreciate it.

I will get the 70 - 200 IS II USM anytime this week.

Will move on from their. Thanks again guys for your advices.