Hi this is my first post on this forum. I have read a few post and realzie the lens I have been researching is the subject of quite a few opinions.

Iown theCanon 40D, and 3 lenses~ a fixed EF 50mm, f1.8, (the 28-135mm, f3.5 IS USM that was purchased with the camera body as kit), and an EF70-300, f4-5.6 IS USM. I have had this camera for a year, and love it. I have been interested in photograhy forever, and learned on a film SLR. I guess you could say I'm past the ametaur stage, but the technical aspect/math understanding lens ratio's gets complicated for me.

I take a lot of pics of my kids, and my friends children & families--as well as sporting events, indoor, (my oldest son, 13 is in a band~and actually has "gig's" i shoot), wildlife, landscape, and some macro. I like it all, and I shoota lot. Family has inspired me to start my own business. Thinking about taking the leap, (keeping my day job, lol!).I know Ineed a new lens, or lenses to take this further. I am not a big tripod user unless I'm doing macro work~and occasionally low light situations. Iwould like to, someday, work my way up to a full frame camera body~tho it may be a while! [:S] I would like to keep my 40D as a back-up, if I ever get the oppertunity to shoot a wedding. With that being said, as many have posted before, do I spend the money now for L series lenses, orspend the $ for17-55mm EF-S IS USM, and leave it as one of my dedicated 40D lenses~savingthe purchase ofthe L series for the full frame camera someday?? It seems like a great all-around lens to have. I'm sure my 28-135 is no where comparable~but I love the range on it.

We are planning a trip to the NC mountains soon~and I thought I could also use it as a wide angle? The 10-22mm didn't seem to havemuch greater of a range?? I want something that will give me more "bokeh" with the lower f stop~also need it for low light situations, and portraits?

Is this a good lens to start with? or should I build slowly with fixed lenses?

Whatever lenses you can suggest fora "future pro"would be greatly appreciated!! []