Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about BlackRapid Straps...

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Stephen, be sure to get the FastenR-T1 if you get the BR strap (or swap plate for standard lug). Don't hang your gear from the RC2's D-ring!
    I would get the FastenR-T1 and definately would not just hang the camera by the manfrotto d-ring! I'm a mechanical engineer so I understand that if it wasn't designed for it, then it is probably not safe to hang expensive camera gear from it...

@icanon - I'd love to see some pictures of your DIY version...

@rick - I believe you can get the lowepro toploader pro cases to hold a 70-200 L IS II with hood. Not specifically designed to be chest carried, but some come with the harness. Mine will hold a mounted 70-200 F4 L IS with hood...seems like there would be lots of extra space for the larger F2.8 version as well.

Stephen

@Rick, the Wimberley P-20 plate does have the safety stop screws. Also, I'm just using the standard FastenR-3, attached to a Kirk 1" clamp (with LocTite on the threads). I then clamp that onto the Wimberley P-5 camera plate or the P-20 lens plates. The safety screws mean it would take a full turn of the clamp knob to come off. The setup makes it quite easy to switch from the BR strap to a tripod/monopod.

Yes, the Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW will hold a gripped body with 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II with the hood reversed. They do make a Topload Zoom Chest Harness.
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 11-16-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

Since you have both the RS-5 and Sport, which do you find better? Are there many differences between them?

Stephen
    I would definitely recommend the RS-Sport, ther is no question about it. The RS-5 tends to slide around up and down your shoulder, especially if you kneel down, lean forward or bend over. The RS-Sport stays put and comes with two bumper stops for in front of the camera and the other one for behind the camera. There is an underarm adapter available separtely for the RS-5 to help it stay in place, which looks like a good solution. I don't think the extra pockets on the RS-5 would work well with a backpack as the extra padding will get in the way of the backpacks shoulder straps.

There is also a newer RS-Sport2 version which is a little thinner and less bulky along the shoulder than the original RS-Sport. So, this may be more comfortable when used in conjunction with the shoulder straps on a backpack. The newer version is also less bulky to stow away (keep in mind I've never used the version 2 model).

Rich
    Last edited by Richard Lane; 11-16-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    @ Rich

None of the holster type products you listed will accomadiate a 70-200mm L II with hood attached will they? It appears that they could be convinient if you were shoting with a 24-70 or 24-105 though.

Rick
    Rick,

All of the the Think Tank Digital Holsters have a zipped pocket at the bottom that extends downward to allow the lens hood to remain in the shooting position. Here is an example: (you just need to pick out the right size).

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...ter-50-v2.aspx

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...-holsters.aspx

I don't have the Digital Holster 50, but I would be concerned about it hitting the top bar on my mountain bike or my knees while pedaling, and perhaps that one would be too long for Skiing, due to leaning forward and bending at the knees while downhill skiing. But these Digital Holsters are great for hiking and walking around.

As far as the Clik Elite Chest Pack is concerned; the Larger Telephoto SLR version will accomadate a medium sized zoom like the 24-70 f/2.8 with the hood in the shooting position.

Rich
    Last edited by Richard Lane; 11-16-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Ok you asked for it.

The only difference from then and today's is that I have sewn the rings in place as the elastics were use as temporary to see how it worked. Mind you the elastics worked great. Even if the elastics do break the camera will still not fall due the rings still attached to your hooks and camera bag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_9410.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	79   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_9411.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	80   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_9413.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	81   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_9414.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	82   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_9415.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	83  

One more pic in action, lol

Any question feel free to ask.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_9417.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	84  

Ordered the RS-7 and Fasten R-T1 today. I'm still not certain how well it will go with my Really Right Stuff camera and lens plates as they're a much lower profile than the Manfrotto quick release plates. Will see anyway - it looks like a really good solution for carrying the camera around, just a little bit more work when attaching to a tripod if I need to remove the strap.

I'll let you know anyway, not sure who else here using Really Right Stuff plates, I can't really recall anybody else.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

For what it's worth, I use the BR Sport with my Tamrac Expedition 7x.. a huge backpack. Works just fine. For city walking and weddings I have my Canon shoulder bag.. I put the BR strap on then the Canon bag over the right shoulder, bag area on my left hip. Works very well for me.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
    Ordered the RS-7 and Fasten R-T1 today. I'm still not certain how well it will go with my Really Right Stuff camera and lens plates as they're a much lower profile than the Manfrotto quick release plates. Will see anyway - it looks like a really good solution for carrying the camera around, just a little bit more work when attaching to a tripod if I need to remove the strap.

I'll let you know anyway, not sure who else here using Really Right Stuff plates, I can't really recall anybody else.
    It works - I almost went with RRS lens plates for the extra 1/4"-20 socket on them, which the Wimberley plates lack. Bob Williams uses RSS plates and BR straps.

FWIW, my solution was to just screw the FastenR-3 (one will come with your RS-7 strap) into a Kirk 1" clamp with some LocTite Blue. That small clamp stays on the strap, and instead of removing the carabiner (ConnectR-2) then unscrewing the lug, I just unscrew the Kirk clamp from the camera or lens plate to use a tripod/monopod or change attachment points (camera vs. lens).

Thanks John. A decent strap is something I've never really considered. But I'm traveling Europe in three weeks time and thought I'd give it a go. Looking forward to some great photo opportunities in Iceland... Northern lights here I come!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30